Home defense questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It would probably be worth it for you (and your husband) to go out with your step-father just to get some basic knowledge and familiarity with what you already have.

But going to a course for beginners, like one of the NRA offerings mentioned, would be a huge benefit.

Also, once you are a little more comfortable with the guns you have, start shooting some others; because you might find there is something available that is much better for you.

My wife is a revolver girl, but I think she has finally come to the decision (that I did a long time ago - but I didn't grow up with revolvers like she did) that the benefits of a revolver (reliability) are outweighed by the benefits of a semi-auto (capacity, speed of re-loading, recoil management) for defensive purposes.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, we'd both like to go. My husband has shot every gun in the safe, but I know where his knowledge ends and know he's not the one I'd like to learn from. And even he told me that he'd like to learn more. He travels a lot with his job so it's hard to get into anything regular. Maybe we could make it our date night for a little while. :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
One thing you can do is shoot at a range like H&H, that rents guns, and each time you go, rent one or two guns to try out. It's been a while (a decade? yikes!) since I rented a gun there but it was $9/ea + you buy their ammo for the rented guns.

Plus, most people on the range if they have something you'd like to shoot, wouldn't mind you shooting a mag or two through it. Proper etiquette is to offer either or shoot your ammo (if it's factory), or to let them shoot something you have.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of folks here who probably wouldn't mind helping you out. If you were in my area, I'd be happy to take both you and your husband to the range to shoot some of my stuff and get some basic safety practice and learn what to look for and what to avoid.

Didn't realize you guys already had some firearms, but yes, although it sounds like there may be something in the collection that would work for you, the only way to know is to actually know what they are and what kind of shape they are in - and then you need training and practice practice practice with all of them.

I agree, I think Date Night Shooting is a great idea - as long as you have some guidance, maybe the first few times. Don't get pick up some guns and start shooting paper targets. Learning the proper way from either someone well-trained or even an official instructor isn't that expensive, and you only probably need 1-3 lessons to really get comfortable with things, depending on how long they are and how good your instructor is and how well you (AND your husband!) listen and learn.

But honestly, I can't emphasize enough how important it would be for BOTH of you to get trained, and doing it together is a GREAT idea!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this time, I don't want to carry a gun on me or with me. Someone told me a 9mm would be best but would love opinions or maybe more specifics?

I have young children at home so opinions on the safe but quick, accessible storage options? We have a large gun safe but something more easily accessed would be good. I'm clueless there but want to be..overly :)..informed before I commit to having a gun outside of the large safe.

Classes? If I have my policeman step dad teach me...likey will that be enough? You don't have to take classes or get permits for just within the home, right?
!

Welcome to the forum. Please excuse my typos/grammar as I try to do this from my phone.

Congratulations for considering the need to take primary responsibility for the protection of you and your family. I'm addressing your questions as I would to someone that is taking a very serious interest in doing so vs someone just "buying a handgun for protection.

You will see a lot of different opinions on these questions. My opinions on the subject come from many different applications of firearms. Derived from my experiences of about 14 years combined in reserve law enforcement, informally teaching new shooters before I was "qualified" to do so, several hundred hours of classes in LE and civilian settings, NRA Instructor course, Oklahoma CLEET and SDA instructor Certified, 2 instructor courses and an advanced instructor course from what I consider members of the top of their field, and many years of research on the subject(s). I have a pretty strong opinion on the subject be cause I am right!! ;)

A 9mm is an excellent choice, I agree 100%. Ammo selection is a factor, but it very capable as a self-defense round. However that is only part of the requirements. I suggest a full sized (or near full-sized), polymer framed, striker fired, double stack magazine, without a manual safety. The acceptance and/or issuing by major law enforcement agencies is a good way to qualify your choice. Examples in no particular order Glock 17/19, S&W M&P FS, SIG P320, Walther PPQ M2, Springfield XDM, and HK VP9.

It is very important to choose one that fits you. This is part of the problem I regularly see with many people but is more common in women. A handgun is purchased and then the shooter struggles trying to learn with a gun that is not optimum for their needs. Most common Is a small gun is selected that is harder to get a good grip on. And because of its size (weight) there will be more felt recoil to the shooter. You are not trying to conceal this (yet) so that removes some of the desire of a smaller gun. Many of the guns I mentioned above can be changed to better fit smaller or larger hands.

Realize that your first choice in a firearm may be wrong. It's not a dog or kid you are stuck with. Be willing to trade for something that works better for you later. As you progress through training you will realize your needs. There are rental options, loaners from friends/relatives/instructors,etc. I'd suggest getting involved with "the well armed women". Most chapters meet monthly and there are lots of opportunities to experiment with different firearms. Don't get in a hurry to buy one.

Additionally you really need to budget additional equipment along the way. A very study gun belt and quality holster., 2+ spare magazines, eye and ear protection. The belt and holster would be helpful even with home protection. Herding small children might be much easier and safer with a holstered firearm if actual presentation is not needed at that exact time. Such as immediately after the threat has diminished but before the Calvary has arrived. Again it is important to get information from someone qualified to make recommendations an these items as well.

There are several locking boxes that can be used when the firearm is not in the safe or on your person. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy, and H&H all have some decent examples to pick from with different levels of access and protection.

Classes: Just in case I have not hurt enough feeling with my opinions above, I'm going to take care of it now.
1. No, you are not required by law to have classes or permits for home protection.

2. The majority of the police officers I have been exposed to would not be my first choice if I was the captain picking team members for a gunfight like you would a high-school dodgeball game. It is sad but pretty accurate statement. There are exceptions, but I have seen so many performance issues in annual or bi-annual qualifications that I stand firm in my statement. Most only fire their firearm once or twice a year during these qualification sessions and it shows.

3. Civilian vs Law enforcement training differ in many aspects. As a civilian, I should have ZERO interested in the apprehension of an offender. I want an immediate stop to the threat of myself or my family. There are many instances where an LEO would be just in pointing a firearm that would result in charges for a civilian. The person providing the training needs to be familiar with methods that are "civilian friendly". While retreat is not usually a LEO option, many times it is the best option for a civilian.

4. Even if the officer (or civilian) is an excellent marksman that does not mean he is qualified as an instructor.

5. "NRA instructor" certifications are too easy to obtain and should not be the basis of choosing an instructor by itself.

6. Building correct skills from the start is extremely important. We build muscle memory in performing the tasks. It is much easier building proper skills than it is to break bad habits.

7. Family members (and friends) don't always make the best instructors for adults. Feelings get hurt and/or they may let things slide to prevent hurt feeling. If you are screwing up, you need to know right now. It is even more critical if it is a safety issue. Not a screaming drill Sergeant style chewing, but a caring conveyance of the issue.

8. Training needs to be very structured and build on previous techniques. The previous skills are constantly reinforced as you add new skills.

9. Training with new shooters needs to occur in small chunks. 1-4 hours with a mix of presentation and range time. I see new shooters overwhelmed in 8 hour courses. They are usually overwhelmed the last half of the day. They make mistakes and continue to reinforce those mistakes by continuing. Choose carefully so that you get the desired results for the time and money you invest.

Now I'm going to change from hurting feelings to straight out offending people:

When I hear someone say to get a revolver as a primary self-defense firearm, I pretty much discount everything they say on the subject. About the same as those that say 22/.25/.32 is adequate for self defense. I suggest you do the same.

Take 10 minutes and watch this video interview with Tom Givens. While one portion addresses CCW, it still applies.

PM me if you want specific recommendations. I have no intent on taking a student on for lessons, but would be more than happy to point you the right direction.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion;

1. Get a sitter for the kids while you and your husband head to the range with your dad. Don't worry about getting proficient on this trip. Learn the 4 rules of gun safety. Learn the mechanics of how to shoot with each of the guns you own and preferably a semi-auto your dad may let you borrow. Learn how to use the safety (if applicable), load, shoot, etc. You've never shot a gun before. So get out there, shoot a few rounds, learn how to handle a gun safely and get over the never shot a gun jitters.
2. Go to a place like Wilshire Gun Range for a gun fitting. For $50 they will let you fondle all the guns in your price range you are interested in. Then, they will let you go to the range and shoot the top 5 you like. Write down which brand and model you like, go find it for a lot less money online and have it sent to Sooner State Pawn.
3. Get some professional training (not a conceal carry class). Conceal carry classes are fine but they generally spend minimal time shooting. Find a class where you will get a lot of rounds down range that focuses on the fundamentals of shooting. If your dad has a semi-auto you can borrow, you might want to hold off on step 2 until you've completed step 3. However, if you need a gun for the class, you need to do step 2 first.

There is plenty more to do but I think this will get you moving in the right direction. Good luck and have fun.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please excuse my typos/grammar as I try to do this from my phone.

Whoa! I'm impressed by someone's phone skills! :) Thanks for the detailed response! I'll definitely watch the video and you made some really valid points.

My comfort level in the person teaching me to shoot a gun...or the lack of...is the reason I'm 35 and have been raised around them and own them but have never fired one. My father owned firearms all my life and he would teach me about the actual working parts but, he is a hunting man. I feel like this is a whole different area. My fil...that man shouldn't have owned firearms. His gun "accidentally" went off TWICE in his house and he had no issues getting his guns out and waving them around like a 5 year old with a nerf gun.

I've never desired to pick one up and make it a hobby. For me, it's a responsibility and not one I necessarily want but I'm finally prepared to take it on to protect my family. I have been feeling the need to for the last year but my stomach gets queasy at the thought of holding something that once I put it in my hands, loaded, is a huge responsibility. I'm hoping just diving into learning and then finally doing it, eases my stomach.

Anyway, thank you all for the responses! I'm going to share this all with my husband so we can figure out the best way to move forward!

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh! I was thinking about ear protection last night....

I have an 1 older child and a toddler. Ideally I would make it to their side of the house and get them into one room. Would it be realistic to think I could put a backpack in the room we would likely go into that has ear protection for the 3 of us? That plan would involve us getting to that room specifically. Or are the cheap ear plugs enough protection that I could have them in the two different sides of the house?

I know that's a cart before the horse kind of question but one I've been rattling in my head.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please excuse my typos/grammar as I try to do this from my phone.

Congratulations for considering the need to take primary responsibility for the protection of you and your family. I'm addressing your questions as I would to someone that is taking a very serious interest in doing so vs someone just "buying a handgun for protection.

You will see a lot of different opinions on these questions. My opinions on the subject come from many different applications of firearms. Derived from my experiences of about 14 years combined in reserve law enforcement, informally teaching new shooters before I was "qualified" to do so, several hundred hours of classes in LE and civilian settings, NRA Instructor course, Oklahoma CLEET and SDA instructor Certified, 2 instructor courses and an advanced instructor course from what I consider members of the top of their field, and many years of research on the subject(s). I have a pretty strong opinion on the subject be cause I am right!! ;)

A 9mm is an excellent choice, I agree 100%. Ammo selection is a factor, but it very capable as a self-defense round. However that is only part of the requirements. I suggest a full sized (or near full-sized), polymer framed, striker fired, double stack magazine, without a manual safety. The acceptance and/or issuing by major law enforcement agencies is a good way to qualify your choice. Examples in no particular order Glock 17/19, S&W M&P FS, SIG P320, Walther PPQ M2, Springfield XDM, and HK VP9.

It is very important to choose one that fits you. This is part of the problem I regularly see with many people but is more common in women. A handgun is purchased and then the shooter struggles trying to learn with a gun that is not optimum for their needs. Most common Is a small gun is selected that is harder to get a good grip on. And because of its size (weight) there will be more felt recoil to the shooter. You are not trying to conceal this (yet) so that removes some of the desire of a smaller gun. Many of the guns I mentioned above can be changed to better fit smaller or larger hands.

Realize that your first choice in a firearm may be wrong. It's not a dog or kid you are stuck with. Be willing to trade for something that works better for you later. As you progress through training you will realize your needs. There are rental options, loaners from friends/relatives/instructors,etc. I'd suggest getting involved with "the well armed women". Most chapters meet monthly and there are lots of opportunities to experiment with different firearms. Don't get in a hurry to buy one.

Additionally you really need to budget additional equipment along the way. A very study gun belt and quality holster., 2+ spare magazines, eye and ear protection. The belt and holster would be helpful even with home protection. Herding small children might be much easier and safer with a holstered firearm if actual presentation is not needed at that exact time. Such as immediately after the threat has diminished but before the Calvary has arrived. Again it is important to get information from someone qualified to make recommendations an these items as well.

There are several locking boxes that can be used when the firearm is not in the safe or on your person. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy, and H&H all have some decent examples to pick from with different levels of access and protection.

Classes: Just in case I have not hurt enough feeling with my opinions above, I'm going to take care of it now.
1. No, you are not required by law to have classes or permits for home protection.

2. The majority of the police officers I have been exposed to would not be my first choice if I was the captain picking team members for a gunfight like you would a high-school dodgeball game. It is sad but pretty accurate statement. There are exceptions, but I have seen so many performance issues in annual or bi-annual qualifications that I stand firm in my statement. Most only fire their firearm once or twice a year during these qualification sessions and it shows.

3. Civilian vs Law enforcement training differ in many aspects. As a civilian, I should have ZERO interested in the apprehension of an offender. I want an immediate stop to the threat of myself or my family. There are many instances where an LEO would be just in pointing a firearm that would result in charges for a civilian. The person providing the training needs to be familiar with methods that are "civilian friendly". While retreat is not usually a LEO option, many times it is the best option for a civilian.

4. Even if the officer (or civilian) is an excellent marksman that does not mean he is qualified as an instructor.

5. "NRA instructor" certifications are too easy to obtain and should not be the basis of choosing an instructor by itself.

6. Building correct skills from the start is extremely important. We build muscle memory in performing the tasks. It is much easier building proper skills than it is to break bad habits.

7. Family members (and friends) don't always make the best instructors for adults. Feelings get hurt and/or they may let things slide to prevent hurt feeling. If you are screwing up, you need to know right now. It is even more critical if it is a safety issue. Not a screaming drill Sergeant style chewing, but a caring conveyance of the issue.

8. Training needs to be very structured and build on previous techniques. The previous skills are constantly reinforced as you add new skills.

9. Training with new shooters needs to occur in small chunks. 1-4 hours with a mix of presentation and range time. I see new shooters overwhelmed in 8 hour courses. They are usually overwhelmed the last half of the day. They make mistakes and continue to reinforce those mistakes by continuing. Choose carefully so that you get the desired results for the time and money you invest.

Now I'm going to change from hurting feelings to straight out offending people:

When I hear someone say to get a revolver as a primary self-defense firearm, I pretty much discount everything they say on the subject. About the same as those that say 22/.25/.32 is adequate for self defense. I suggest you do the same.

Take 10 minutes and watch this video interview with Tom Givens. While one portion addresses CCW, it still applies.

PM me if you want specific recommendations. I have no intent on taking a student on for lessons, but would be more than happy to point you the right direction.

Excellent post. A lot of my sentiment but with much more detail and explanation. Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom