Home defense questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a demo of the blast out the side of revolvers; would you want this next to your kid's face?

I'm thinking this subject is to deep for you. Again in a life or death struggle what are you gonna be worried about??? If you can't keep you're head in the game don't suit up.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She shoots better than I do. I have not convinced her to go deer hunting and kill one yet though.
She is not a flincher and has very steady gun control.
She said a few times she will not shoot someone who makes her mad she will use poison and finish off with a wood chipper.

Note to self: not only stay out of Swampratts yard; stay far far away from wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out The Well Armed Woman https://www.facebook.com/TWAW.SW.OK

Safety Rules
1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded
2. Keep your finger off trigger until you're ready to shoot
3. Never point a gun a something you don't want to destroy
4. Know your target and what's beyond it.

There are numerous safety videos on YouTube explaining everything in this post.

Below is some standard advice

1. Receive training and rent/borrow lots of guns to find out what you like.

2. Don't let your husband pick your pistol for you, it needs to fit your hands and you need to be able to rack the slide.

3. 9mm is a good all around caliber, it's perfectly adequate despite what people say and recoil is mild. Racking the slide on most 9mm's isn't too bad either.

My wife likes her S&W M&P Shield, my Glock 26 is too wide for her hands. Most modern polymer framed pistols are very reliable and accurate; try to get a double stack if your hands will fit it while using a proper grip. Check out the manufacturers below

S&W M&P series
Glock
Ruger
Springfield Armory
Beretta

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking this subject is to deep for you. Again in a life or death struggle what are you gonna be worried about??? If you can't keep you're head in the game don't suit up.

Yeah, I'm a pretty shallow guy. I guess it's better to not put all the info out there for people to see.

Of course if in that moment the choice is between letting the bad guy murder your child, or discharging the weapon in your childs face, you fire the weapon with the blast in their face.

Like I said, consider it or not, your choice.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't delve too far into specifics, but i would recommend a high quality (I personally like H&K), non revolver forearm with an external safe (unlike Glock). yes You can probably drop a Glock from the Empire State building without it going off, but any 3 year old can easily fire the weapon. Keep in mind, that if someone smashes in your window, they are not going to slowly creep through your house giving you time to prepare... they are going to run through your hone to disable threats ASAP, so plan accordingly with your firearm placement.

Im sure you were joking, but no, you NEVER want to hit someone with your firearm. If you ate close enough to hit them, they are close enough to disarm you and use that weapon against your family.

Lights: the best form of prevention is a well lit exterior. replace all of your 40w exterior bulbs with 100w and BUY EXTRAS! Also, mounting 1 or 2 motion sensors with bright lights will help as well.

Lastly, real firearm training with lots of practice. This is invaluable to someone seriously concerned with safely defending yourself, your family, and/or your home. If you do not feel satisfied with the level of training you recieve from your family member, I would recommend you pay for a session with am actual firearms instructor.

Take Care

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is not that a 3 year old can operate the trigger, the issue is that a 3 year should never be able to access the gun in the first case. A small child has the physical strength to operate the trigger on a revolver. If you aren't willing to spend the money to secure your firearm, you should probably reconsider owning that firearm. There are many quick access safes at all price points available so use them.

Claude Werner has an excellent presentation on the serious mistakes that gun owners make. It's available from his website and it's absolutely worth the listening to. https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/serious-mistakes-gunowners-make/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom