Home defense questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another consideration about revolvers is the blast coming out the sides between the cylinder and the barrel. No problem on the range, but you don't want that anywhere near your or a loved one in a fight.
In defense of the comment on cylinder blast in a home defense revolver I was going to post a video of an Auto pistol malfunction but couldn't find any. LoL

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did this turn into a "revolvers are useless" thread?

Would I prefer to take a revolver into a battle? No. if I could be totally prepared for every event I'd just avoid the battle.
If I were forced to choose a weapon for someone with little or no experience, a weapon they could probably deploy and operate immediately, I would still choose a revolver.

I don't claim to know everything and I don't discount the advantages of having more ammo capacity. However, I have found myself in a high stress situation where I obviously didn't have adequate muscle memory, ninja skills, or just plain badassery to remember a few basics. From that I learned that keeping it simple might be a smart move. Your results may vary, maybe you have more/better training or maybe you're more of a badass than I am.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think we're saying revolvers are useless, it's just that there's pro and cons to each type and they should all be on the table so people can make their own decision.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lady asked for a couple thoughts on her questions. Side blast, had heard that argument ever, so while probably valid, it isn't something she asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start by locking your house up. It sounds simple, but nearly half of all robberies occur because people don't lock their house up.

Don't leave a spare key outside.

Reinforce your doors and place dowel rods in your closed windows. This can all be done for a few bucks.

Guns are a great option for home defense but don't fall into the trap of false safety a gun can give you. A gun is useless if you don't have it with you.

A gun in your bedside safe doesn't do much good during the day.

Lastly, don't let strangers into your house! Another large chunk of robberies occur because people were let into the house.

Don't televise when you'll be gone from your house.

Build great relationships with your neighbors.

As far as the gun, get something you can shoot well.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the great info! I never knew that that about side blast. I'm sure something I would learn during lessons...and hopefully not the hard way. Can't believe how it shredded the paper!

I believe we've decided to go shoot with my step dad so I can get a feel for it and get those first time gitters out. Then we've have decided we are going to take some classes. I'm having a hard time mapping out scenarios so I'm going to look into something that was mentioned a little bit back. More than anything the space between me and my kids.

I understand day time is when most burglaries occur and unless they are in a police uniform or I know them, I dont open the door. All doors are locked...always. And we have a pretty decent alarm system. Where I worry is my car is in the garage and it would appear to most that we are not home. I certainly don't want to startle someone (without being protected) after they have broken in when they thought no one was home.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh ya and get lots of lighting outside. Motion sensor flood lights and leave different lights on in your house when you leave.

Think like a criminal. How would you break into your house. Just don't make it easy for them.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepare yourself, your family, and your property as if there is NO ONE around to help you - ever - when you most need it, including law enforcement.
Regardless of the type of home invader-criminal-killer-thief-general bad guy ---- YOU ARE ALONE during the most vital survival seconds at the outset of the confrontation.

That may sound overly grim and pessimistic, but I believe it to be a very pragmatic view of "how to get out of it alive".

Latest posts

Top Bottom