Home defense tactics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of questions up front:
Do you have anyone else living in your home?
Are they in other bedrooms?

Some good discussion here, feel free to bring anything over:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=435467

There are some interesting thoughts there, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tul9033 View Post
The 500 series are $195, check it out. I'm no USSA sales person
And another $400 in ammo.

I would really like a class where in effect we'd say "here is situation A--- and here is what the pro would do .." The shooting I know is useful, but I'd really like a class just on the strategy..

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what you are shooting but 300 rds of 9mm would be about $60.
Quality training costs $$, do you want that new gun or training on how to use what you got?
You could always try for the police academy and get it for free :)
There are also many video's on the market if you'd rather watch it from home.

And another $400 in ammo.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talking about and thinking of what you'll do is one thing but going though drills is a must as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. I'm just thinking that since there are obviously countless scenarios that could present, that really spending time on the thinking side would be of benefit. Not necessarily to the exclusion of practicing, but less focusing on that aspect in this type of class. There seems to be plenty of options for the more drill oriented classes-- which I think I'd personally get more out of after spending some time learning about how a pro is thinking through situations.

Jza

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what you are shooting but 300 rds of 9mm would be about $60.
Quality training costs $$, do you want that new gun or training on how to use what you got?
You could always try for the police academy and get it for free :)
There are also many video's on the market if you'd rather watch it from home.

I shoot .45, so 300 rounds would be about $90 for me.

I wasn't really whining about the price, just pointing out to anyone who cares to take into consideration ammunition costs on top of the cost of the course.

I've had my eye on USSA's 210 course which requires 1250 rounds minimum, which is where I pulled that number from. I looked again at the 515 course, which is more what the OP is looking for and the round suggestion on their site says 250.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Home defense scenarios involve gaming and an occasional drill, usually our drills are caused by a possum in the back yard, my dogs have a zero tolerance policy possum squirrel birds none of em belong in the yard.

Plan for lanes of fire and the best possible place for loved ones to shelter in place without coming out in the open. Understand your sleeping arrangements in relation to the most likely points of access and plan for how to defend against a home invasion. Discuss these itesm with your loved ones make a plan.

Doors are the preferred entry point for brute force home invasions.

First alert line of defense is our dogs, they'll alert before someone triggers an alarm. I actually discuss this issue with the few friends we have visit and stay overnight. If the dogs start barking do not exit the guest bedroom are my instructions, other than a possum in the yard once or twice a year they have never barked when something wasn't out of the ordinary, my son knows where he is to go in his room that places him out of most likely lines of fire and my wife knows where to go and what to do.

We had some shots fired a while back before we had our dogs, close to our house that woke lots of people up. I woke on the first bang and started counting shots on the move the wife had been shoved off in the floor by the 3rd shot. And followed the commads to grab her pistol and move to my sons room and get him down on the floor by the time the 5th and final shot I heard and counted.

The TPD said they'd had shots fired in an apartment complex 1/2 a mile away but these were much closer than that possibly related and a possible drive by attempt on another vehicle on Garnett.

Was my response too extreme? Maybe and maybe not but having lived in some really unpleasant neighborhoods in my past drove home some survival skills.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the 210 and many scenarios were discussed and appropriate actions addressed. I'm sure TDSA covers many of the same things.
One thing that has stuck out the most, is if you have to clear a house don't do it with your gun extended keep it close to your body. If someone is waiting for you in a doorway/hallway/corner/etc the first thing they see is your gun and can easily disarm you or worse.

I shoot .45, so 300 rounds would be about $90 for me.

I wasn't really whining about the price, just pointing out to anyone who cares to take into consideration ammunition costs on top of the cost of the course.

I've had my eye on USSA's 210 course which requires 1250 rounds minimum, which is where I pulled that number from. I looked again at the 515 course, which is more what the OP is looking for and the round suggestion on their site says 250.

radiant_shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread yesterday it really got me thinking so I started doing some research on the internet for "tactical planning for a home invasion" and other similar things.

I found many good articles on precautions to take like alarm system, advertising that you have an alarm with stickers and a sign, a plan for the family in the event that someone does break in, good solid doors with dead bolts for bedrooms, etc...

So when I got home I told my wife that we needed to plan out a tactical scenario if something like that was to happen. She laughed at me and then got into a discussion that I am paranoid. It drives me nuts when she does that. She doesn't take it seriously. I may be paranoid, but I would rather have a plan and have practiced that plan when the situation arises.

She may not realize it, but I'm not so much worried about my own safety, but the safety of my family. I take on full responsibility for them and need to have a plan in place that can guarantee (or at least put the odds in our favor) that they will be safe in a home invasion.

I wish she would come with me to some of the advanced pistol training classes at H&H so she can feel prepared when she is home alone. She has a gun, but thinks it would be useless in an attack. She told me yesterday she thinks I would be too freaked out and fumbly (is that a word) to get my gun out and put the magazine in it and be able to successfully fire at an intruder if someone broke into our home in the middle of the night. She said I would probably drop the gun and lose it in the dark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom