1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Home Remedy for squaring up a rough sawed off Rem 870 barrel?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Repairs' started by trbii, Aug 21, 2020.

1. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That was the point. The 18" barrel length is only half the equation; you also have the 26" overall length to consider. Weaver's side of the story was that he cut the barrel down to a legal length, but the guy for whom he cut it down put it on a shotgun that didn't meet the OAL requirement.

dennishoddy likes this.
  2. trbii

trbii Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I read a book on the Randy Weaver Ruby Ridge attack and was confused, surprised, horrified, angered and disgusted with the federal governments actions. First I was aware of it when I heard Paul Harvey beseech Randy on a noon time radio station I listened to regularly in Tulsa, at work. It was further evidence of the filthy, criminal, unethical political underhanded actions of the anti 2A left wingers. Bill Clinton, Janet Reno, upper echelon FBI, BATFE honchos. False charges against Weaver to score accolades from the dems gun haters in Congress. You are all right as rain to tread lightly, expect to be made an example of. I try bear that in mind when I hear about protester/ rioter roadblocks, pulling drivers out of their vehicles to beat them to death, or mangled, maimed and impaired like Reginald Denny in the 1992 LA Rodney king riots. How is the local DA going to treat you for successfully defending yourself?

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Leave it. Won't hurt a thing. I cut a remy 870 20 ga that was an easy one handed gun, cleaned it up with emery cloth. of course a quality cut is helpful

trbii likes this.
  4. DFX

DFX Sharpshooter

Use a tubing cutter to scribe a fine groove around the barrel. Then with a fine tooth bladed hacksaw carefully cut the barrel.
    Go slow and easy and the saw will follow the groove.
    Then recrown with 1/2 round jewelers file.
    Then polish the new crown with some fine or extra fine emery cloth.
    It probably won't pattern worth a hoot But deadly at short range.

5. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Cut an old single shot 12ga down and what I did your not supposed to do. I used the side of the the grinding stone on my 8 inch bench grinder. Just held the barrel at 90 deg and rotated it against the grinding wheel taking off the high spots. After I had it pretty good cleaned it up with 400 then 600 grit sand paper.

Common wisdom says never grind on the side of a grinder but I was careful and didn't use alot of pressure.

6. n2soonerz

n2soonerz Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think I have an older 28 inch 870 barrel that I'm not going to use. I will look. Please PM me