Homosexual bill passed by OKC Council

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually don't bother contacting my representatives because there isn't much overlap in our beliefs and little chance they'll actually do anything I want, but I think in this instance I might be able to get my rep (Sally Kern) to sponsor a bill for state preemption of this kind of local law. Should be right up her alley. Hey, if I can get the government to leave us alone in some small way, it's worth trying, right?

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I usually don't bother contacting my representatives because there isn't much overlap in our beliefs and little chance they'll actually do anything I want, but I think in this instance I might be able to get my rep (Sally Kern) to sponsor a bill for state preemption of this kind of local law. Should be right up her alley. Hey, if I can get the government to leave us alone in some small way, it's worth trying, right?

Oklahoma already wastes enough tax dollars defending stupid state laws that get overturned.

Why don't you put your crack lawyer skills to the test and challenge this law in court if you think you've got a case?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's not really any winning way to challenge it as it is... that's why I think the easiest way to get rid of it is state preemption, just like our law that prevents local firearm laws that are more restrictive than state law. A preemption law would be very unlikely to get overturned if challenged.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
There's not really any winning way to challenge it as it is... that's why I think the easiest way to get rid of it is state preemption, just like our law that prevents local firearm laws that are more restrictive than state law. A preemption law would be very unlikely to get overturned if challenged.

Gay marriage was preempted by state law, how'd that hold up in court?

So if a city passed a law saying you couldn't deny housing to gun owners would you want the state to pre-empt that, too?

I mean if people should be free to discriminate against gays, they should be free to discriminate against gun owners too, right?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So if a city passed a law saying you couldn't deny housing to gun owners would you want the state to pre-empt that, too?

I mean if people should be free to discriminate against gays, they should be free to discriminate against gun owners too, right?

The good ol' slippery slope argument.

Well, if people want to discriminate against gun owners, that's their right. I wouldn't want to do business with or associate with anyone like that anyway.

Gun ownership also isn't an indicator of sexual perversion.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Of course. People should be free to be as discriminating as they see fit in their interactions with others.

What I want is a voluntary society where nobody threatens force against anybody else unless somebody first starts its use. The good old non-aggression principle. That leaves people as free as possible to live their own lives as they see fit, and for each individual to maximize his own happiness. The current system, where anybody with enough pull can get his way forced on everybody, breeds conflict and uncertainty, as nobody's freedom is really ever safe.

This law is wrong for the exact same reason the law against gay marriage was wrong -- because it threatens force against people for engaging in a completely peaceful activity (choosing who they wish to interact with). It's a blatant violation of the non-aggression principal, and is completely immoral.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I dunno...I haven't read Romer v. Evans in a while, but it seems like it was on-point, and SCOTUS struck down the preemption law. If my memory doesn't fail me, of course, which is a distinct possibility.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why can't it be like it used to be when a homosexual didn't brag about his or her habits? It was better then, all one could do was suspect that a person was "odd." There were no bakery lawsuits and things were generally running smooth. Now we have lawsuits, teachers that try to convince young people that it is acceptable when in fact, it's abnormal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom