Hornady Leverevolution 30-30 160gr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal I cant figure out if I'm happy with this ammos performance or not? My son shoots a contender 24 inch 30-30 with the above ammo and its very accurate to 300 yards, however he has hit 3 deer with this ammo and all three have failed to expand? All three were straight pass throughs, but 2 were neck shots and DRT the third was a high lung shot and the deer ran about 150 yards and died? So why the bullet has done the intended job it as failed to expand as advertised or even expand at all? Does anyone else have any experience with this ammo?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Leverevolution line attempts to turn a 30-30 into the exterior ballistic equivalent of a 308. My argument is that if you need that kind of ballistic performance and anticipate shots at 200+ yards, then you need more than a 30-30. Most people around here are not shooting deer at that range. I know I don't, and I love to hunt with the 30-30.

You are not alone in your observation of this ammunition failing to expand. Hornady makes some great products. Their Interlock bullets have never let me down in 30-30. But neither has Barnes or Sierra.

Latest posts

Top Bottom