How about a 44 mag 4-inch for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another to think about would be a 3rd Generation S&W 10MM, preferably a 1006 loaded with 180 to 200gr TMJ pushing 1400 to 1500FPS, and 4 spare mags. Its flatter, can be carried very well in a belt holster or shoulder rig, and very easy to control in rapid fire, which in reality is the only way your going to stop a pissed of bear, and it will work fine for those other two-legged critters that your more likely to come across.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another to think about would be a 3rd Generation S&W 10MM, preferably a 1006 loaded with 180 to 200gr TMJ pushing 1400 to 1500FPS, and 4 spare mags. Its flatter, can be carried very well in a belt holster or shoulder rig, and very easy to control in rapid fire, which in reality is the only way your going to stop a pissed of bear, and it will work fine for those other two-legged critters that your more likely to come across.

Not enough gun. 'Way stout for most applications, but quite simply not enough for a big bear. Confrontations with bears are rare, but one shot may be all you have time for. A friend of mine got into it with a big momma bear when he forgot to get away from some cute cubs quickly. It took seven 200 grain 30-06 rounds to kill her (and orphan the cubs). She died at his feet after he stopped her charge with a lucky shot in an eye. He still regrets killing her, but knows he had no viable alternative. He was a tenderfoot at the time, and forgot what he had been told about bear cubs. It was a real learning experience for him.

Point is, any handgun is going to be marginal, even the newer hand cannons. I love my .44 mags, but they are on the low side of marginal too. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not enough gun. 'Way stout for most applications, but quite simply not enough for a big bear. Confrontations with bears are rare, but one shot may be all you have time for. A friend of mine got into it with a big momma bear when he forgot to get away from some cute cubs quickly. It took seven 200 grain 30-06 rounds to kill her (and orphan the cubs). She died at his feet after he stopped her charge with a lucky shot in an eye. He still regrets killing her, but knows he had no viable alternative. He was a tenderfoot at the time, and forgot what he had been told about bear cubs. It was a real learning experience for him.

Point is, any handgun is going to be marginal, even the newer hand cannons. I love my .44 mags, but they are on the low side of marginal too. CB

I agree, it was just another option. A heavy .30caliber rifle or shotgun with slugs is really the only way to go. A handgun is a good idea, more for personal defense against two legged vermin, and if your out hunting to collect something for the pot.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a common topic: how much gun do you need for......???
You can take a grizzly with a .22 in a rifle. I have heard that Inuits that can hunt year round like to wait for a moose to swim a lake and paddle their canoe along side and shoot them in the ear with a .22.
The point is, in an ideal situation you can kill (fill in the blank) with a .22. But you are not talking about an ideal situation. You want to stop a large predator that has been suprised, is protecting it's cubs or territory, or wants eat you or your bloody game or dead fish. Bears are big and damn quick. So you don't want the firearm that will work in the ideal situation where you have time to place a perfect shot on an unsuspecting beast but the one that will do the job in less than ideal situations when the adrenline is pumping and the hair on your neck is standing up and you make a less than ideal shot. :faint:
I also think that a can of bear spray on your belt and a Ruger Alaskan in .454 in a shoulder harness to back up the spray is the answer. I like the shoulder holster because it keeps the weight off my hips, I forget it's there and I am less tired after toting it around all day.

The old Alaska guide joke is to tell a hunter he can bring his .44 mag if he wants but to be sure to remove the front sight. When the hunter asks why the guide then says "So after shootn' a griz 6 times and he takes the thing away from you, it won't hurt so bad when he shoves it up your ....." :blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom