How about a Oldies Rimfire photo/whatcha got thread? Here is one of mine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 41874 Marlin 39A presafty 16 inch barrel

I've casually looked for a 39a for several years now with no luck. This is what I'm looking for.

Love old .22s. When I go to gun shows I always stop to gawk at the old .22s and have picked up a couple of cool ones.

No pictures at this time but I learned to shoot a rifle with a Stevens 87A that was given to me by a family friend after their house burned. (gave me all his firearms, 3 were salvaged) He said it was given to him in 30s by a neighbor. I shot thousands of rounds through that rifle and will never sell it.

First handgun was the H&R 9 "The Marshall" with genuine imitation stag grips. Thousands of rounds through it as well (most of which were purchased by me at OTASCO before I was old enough to drive).

One of my favorites is a gun show find. Very, very accurate pre ww2 Mossberg 42m.

Mostly shoot my modern .22s (buck mark, GSG & RIA 1911, 10/22s, CMMG AR, CZ 452) but getting the itch to break out the oldies again.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now long gone, but I once had an H&R 365 Ace single shot rifle. Made only in 1946-'47 (mine had a four digit serial number) with a Lyman #55 peep sight and a medium weight "target/sporter" barrel, the 365 proved to be too expensive to sell well in those first early postwar years and it was replaced by the much cheaper model 765. My 365 had a bolt handle that had been repaired with JB Weld, but it had an amazing trigger and was very accurate.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a 6" H&R 922,,,
Nine shot .22 LR.

www.aarondgraham.com_pics_140630_HR_922_lr.jpg

This is an odd-ball little gun,,,
I got it for a next to nothing price.

The DA trigger is about 45 pounds pull,,, :shocked:
But the SA trigger is nice, light, and crisp.

I am trying to find an owners manual for this revolver,,,
It has an odd aspect that I would like to know more about.

The cylinder will turn freely when the hammer is down,,,
But when the hammer is back it locks very tightly.

I have asked about this on several forums,,,
Many folk have said this is normal operation for this model,,,
But I can't imagine anyone making a pistol with a free turning cylinder.

Be that as it may,,,
The thing is very precise.

Using a cheap plastic rest,,,
I can shoot 1" or less groups all day at 25 yards.

I like pairing a rifle with a pistol,,,
I put them in one case as a range set.

I have paired this early 50's revolver,,,
With my early 50's (late 40's?) Mossberg 340-KC rifle.

Both are old school American made shooters,,,
They compliment each other very well.

Aarond

I have one of those H&R's myself. Got it at an estate auction. I use it for a trapping gun. Carry it in the bucket to dispatch critters.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_higgins.png

J. C. Higgins Model 31, .22 S/L/LR, manufactured by High Standard. Roll mark 583.75 which puts it into the first series manufactured between 1953 and 1956 or so.

Not particularly valuable in a monetary sense, but the first gun I ever shot. I really don't remember how old I was but do remember that I couldn't even hold it up so my dad rested it across his shoulder. He explained how to sight then said "see that crow on the limb? Shoot it." So I did - through the eye (beginner's luck). He picked up the crow and said "Now take a good close look - that's what dead looks like. It's what happens when you shoot things." And that was my introduction to shooting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_higgins.png

J. C. Higgins Model 31, .22 S/L/LR, manufactured by High Standard. Roll mark 583.75 which puts it into the first series manufactured between 1953 and 1956 or so.

Not particularly valuable in a monetary sense, but the first gun I ever shot. I really don't remember how old I was but do remember that I couldn't even hold it up so my dad rested it across his shoulder. He explained how to sight then said "see that crow on the limb? Shoot it." So I did - through the eye (beginner's luck). He picked up the crow and said "Now take a good close look - that's what dead looks like. It's what happens when you shoot things." And that was my introduction to shooting.

Nice looking rifle!

My kids learned the same way what dead looks like, although it was with a .44 mag on a 5lb carp hanging from a fence.

Lots of carnage. :D

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Click-clack, Gill gun heaven.

I've posted the top 2 before but now have a 3rd to add to the list.

Top to bottom.

1. 1949 Savage Model 6A
2. 1950 Stevens Model 87A
3. 1946-1948 Springfield Model 87A

i.imgur.com_L3CuBYn.jpg

i.imgur.com_LhGu7UH.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked myself up a little 10/22 target tactical model yesterday, threw a nikon p22 bdc scope on it with millet rings and a cheap bipod. Shot maybe 20 rounds through it, gonna go sight it in today or tomorrow. I love it!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom