How can I get a copy of my DD214?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Being the usual dumb-ass or forgetful(not sure which) I have lost my DD214. I thought it was with my other Air Force memorobilia but it is not. So has anyone else done this and if so how did you get another? If someone could gove me a number or an address to request a copy Id be most appreciative.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. I have my original and I think I have my Dad's somewhere too but I'd love to get my Grandfather's, and a few of my Great Uncles' as well. From the way I'm reading it, if they were separated 62 years ago then they are public and all I have to do is request them and don't have to be the direct next of kin?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you are correct, the older records can be requested by anyone...but you'll have to fill out the SF-180 form I think.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you are correct, the older records can be requested by anyone...but you'll have to fill out the SF-180 form I think.

Cool. I have two great uncles who served in the Army in Europe for WWI and another pair of great uncles who were both Marines and served in the Pacific Island campaigns during WWII. It would be great to know their full record. Two of them have no surviving heirs to even pass on their stories so it may be the only way I'm able to piece anything together.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is that the VA will only have a copy of your DD214 if you are receiving, or have received, benefits from the VA...no?

If anyone ever files a claim for benefits, most of all the military records are sent to VA for the claim. They then stay in the possession of VA in a "loan status". Personnel records are the ones that usually don't get sent but they are requested later on certain claims.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The easiest way I've found to get it is to go to a local recruiter and tell them what you want. I had a buddy who was a recruiter and I needed mine and it took less than a week to get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom