What should we do over bad remodeling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The contractor just showed up to seal the floor. He said the grout he uses has a sealer in it. He claims it needed to be done to have a warranty. He told me this morning that they would fix anything to please us. My wife is so tired of them being here that I told him I'd fix all the little things. He said he would reimburse us $300 for that. It is getting a little better. I could never understand why people don't have the time to do it right but, have time to do it over. It was that way in the refinery sometimes.
So much draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaama.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The contractor just showed up to seal the floor. He said the grout he uses has a sealer in it. He claims it needed to be done to have a warranty. He told me this morning that they would fix anything to please us. My wife is so tired of them being here that I told him I'd fix all the little things. He said he would reimburse us $300 for that. It is getting a little better. I could never understand why people don't have the time to do it right but, have time to do it over. It was that way in the refinery sometimes.

Doing it right takes time and money. Refinery believes in "make it work, get production", rarely does that equate fix it RIGHT.

Those type contractors hope you accept and they move on. Time and money ahead.

I haven't seen many times that "lowest bid" was the best job. When I working, my bids / pricing were consistent, references given and work guaranteed.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most if not all grout nowadays has a sealer in it. Back in the day sealers were a "thing" but nowadays the sealer is made to sell. I am glad the tile setter came back and made an attempt to make things right.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I agree. I said in principle and then it's ok to dole money out at various stages of completion.

I'm sure you're a good honest contractor, it's just that I've been burned before, even went to a lawyer and said I wanted to sue. Lawyer said"forget it, take your ****ing and go on, you won't win in court" etc. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I guess I should really say "proceed with caution, deal with those with great references, etc etc,"

I have paid up front for material and supplies, no problem once I felt the contractor was reputable and up front. It's just too many times I'd soon get hit up with "need an advance now, I gotta make payroll, buy this buy that, really need it."

I had one of those go sidways, I paid up front for supplies/materials/paint/etc, then the guy came back a few days later and "prices went up, need another thousand or so to finish buying the materials."
Got burned on that one, never finished the job, stopped returning phone calls.

That's a disaster.

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you spoke up.
The only way I pay upfront for materials is if they give me a quantity & specific information on the required materials. Then I’ll buy the materials, get them delivered, and store them on my site. Then I own the materials plus I don’t pay his markup.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only way I pay upfront for materials is if they give me a quantity & specific information on the required materials. Then I’ll buy the materials, get them delivered, and store them on my site. Then I own the materials plus I don’t pay his markup.
I am an old school contractor and always write materials into the estimate with the understanding the materials are up front. I also make it clear that if more are required they are responsible g or that cost. I save ALL receipts and make them available at the conclusion of the job. I NEVER EVER markup materials. Materials are way to volitile to give an exact materials price and this works best for me and my customers.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am an old school contractor and always write materials into the estimate with the understanding the materials are up front. I also make it clear that if more are required they are responsible g or that cost. I save ALL receipts and make them available at the conclusion of the job. I NEVER EVER markup materials. Materials are way to volitile to give an exact materials price and this works best for me and my customers.
You are indeed an OG contractor to not markup materials. I worked 17 years in a metal fabrication company with some of that in estimating & sales. We definitely marked up materials just to ensure having cash flow to buy the aluminum, stainless steel and bronze in a very volatile market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom