What should we do over bad remodeling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck trying to sue a small independent contractor.

I’d be curious what grout they used. Some of the new epoxy grouts are very durable, but they leave a haze for multiple cleanings.

Voids in grout is usually minor… is that the only tile problem? More serious tile issues would be things like: unlevel tiles, crooked grout lines, shower pan pooling in corners/not draining, also as @sushi & pistols mentioned possible movement in the substrate… tiles not sticking due to improper mastic, shower pan leaks, etc

Gaps in trim? Gaps at the trim joints? or gaps where the trim meets along the drywall? A bad painter can ruin a decent trim job… that being said, most remodelers are not skilled finish carpenters. Making trim actually fit well takes some training a lot of practice. Everyone thinks they’re a carpenter because they bought the $699 miter saw and can cut 45’s…

Issues with the trim really shouldn’t be too big of a deal. It’s purely cosmetic. Totally fixable.

I’m in residential construction but Ponca is a hell of a drive. Wish you were closer and I’d take a look.

Please don’t be upset at this question and feel free to not answer… but.., how much $$ do you have in it with them for the bathroom remodel?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ANGI can be your friend. Post your problems.

Let others know about shoddy work, doesn't get your loss repaired, but keeps others from suffering same.

BBB can be good for word on shoddy out.

Dad had a HACK do a bathroom. My 10 yo grandson would have done a better job. I spent MANY hours repairing the crap job.
Dad talked to lawyer, was told "just eat it, you won't get anything. "
He filed complaint through BBB. Few months later, HACK shows up, threatening to sue for loss of business. Dad says, "I hope you lose everything."
Never heard from HACK, again.

Hacks exist because word is NOT spread.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 80 years old and have always done my own work. I believe in that old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." But the time is coming when I won't be able to do the necessary repairs and I dread hiring someone that wants a quick buck to do a fas† and usually sloppy job.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it a Hispanic crew? They are notorious for NOT using tile sealer. You end up doing it yourself. They will tell you the new grouts don't need it. Just spend the 40 bucks or so for a jug and apply it. Its labor intensive that's why they don't want to spend the time.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it a Hispanic crew? They are notorious for NOT using tile sealer. You end up doing it yourself. They will tell you the new grouts don't need it. Just spend the 40 bucks or so for a jug and apply it. Its labor intensive that's why they don't want to spend the time.
Those damn Hispanics

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never pay up front for a job. Never.

You'll hear stories soon, I need money now to make my payroll/buy supplies/etc/need more money now etc etc etc.

Don't do it. I use a contractor that never asks for a penny up front, you pay after completion and have a chance to verify it's all done properly with no issues.

If a "contractor" doesn't have the $$$ to buy supplies up front,, and pay his employees and is always asking for $$$ every time you turn around, fire his ass and get rid of him. A GOOD contractor should have the $$$ to operate on.

On the other hand, good experienced contractors have had bad experiences in finishing a good job then getting stiffed by the home owner. That's a real legitimate issue, and it's ok to dole out money as the work progresses. In fact, that's how houses are built, if fianced the bank will issue the $$$ at predetermined agreed up times to protect a good contractor too.
;
Insurance and permits. A good contractor should provide you with a certificate that they have insurance, so call the insurance company and verify.

If permits are required, don't trust the contractor to pull the permits. If they don't get the permits and then don't pay their subcontractors, you'll get a lien filed on your property and you'll have to satisfy that before it gets worse/better.

Here is a really bad, really sad tale about a really bad dishonest cheating thieving contractor. https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma-contractor-hit-with-embezzlement-charges-says-ags-office/

More here: https://oklahoma.gov/oag/news/newsr...oma-contractor-charged-with-embezzlement.html

There are lots of good honest pro contractors who do a good job. Unfortunatey there enough bad ones that it taints the issue.

Get references. Lots of them. Call them all.

Best wishes to you.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never pay up for for a job. Never.

You'll hear stories soon, I need money now to make my payroll/buy supplies/etc/need more money now etc etc etc.

Don't do it. I use a contractor that never asks for a penny up front, you pay after completion and have a chance to verify it's all done properly with no issues.

If a "contractor" doesn't have the $$$ to buy supplies up front,, and pay his employees and is always asking for $$$ every time you turn around, fire his ass and get rid of him. A GOOD contractor should have the $$$ to operate on.

On the other hand, good experienced contractors have had bad experiences in finishing a good job then getting stiffed by the home owner. That's a real legitimate issue, and it's ok to dole out money as the work progresses. In fact, that's how houses are built, if fianced the bank will issue the $$$ at predetermiend agreed up times to protect a good contractor too.
;
Insurance and permits. A good contractor should provide you with a certificate that they have insurance, so call the insurance company and verify.

If permits are required, don't trust the contractor to pull the permits. If they don't get the permits and then don't pay their subcontractors, you'll get a lien filed on your property and you'll have to satisfy that before it gets worse/better.

Here is a really bad, really sad tale about a really bad dishonest cheating thieving contractor. https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma-contractor-hit-with-embezzlement-charges-says-ags-office/
I've been a contractor for many years and write it into my quotes/contracts that supplies/materials are paid for up front. I have never had my ass fired and I might add the materials thing goes both ways

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a contractor for many years and write it into my quotes/contracts that supplies/materials are paid for up front. I have never had my ass fired and I might add the materials thing goes both ways
Yes I agree. I said in principle and then it's ok to dole money out at various stages of completion.

I'm sure you're a good honest contractor, it's just that I've been burned before, even went to a lawyer and said I wanted to sue. Lawyer said"forget it, take your ****ing and go on, you won't win in court" etc. That's a bitter pill to swallow.

I guess I should really say "proceed with caution, deal with those with great references, etc etc,"

I have paid up front for material and supplies, no problem once I felt the contractor was reputable and up front. It's just too many times I'd soon get hit up with "need an advance now, I gotta make payroll, buy this buy that, really need it."

I had one of those go sidways, I paid up front for supplies/materials/paint/etc, then the guy came back a few days later and "prices went up, need another thousand or so to finish buying the materials."
Got burned on that one, never finished the job, stopped returning phone calls.

That's a disaster.

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you spoke up.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Claimed being the key word.
The contractor just showed up to seal the floor. He said the grout he uses has a sealer in it. He claims it needed to be done to have a warranty. He told me this morning that they would fix anything to please us. My wife is so tired of them being here that I told him I'd fix all the little things. He said he would reimburse us $300 for that. It is getting a little better. I could never understand why people don't have the time to do it right but, have time to do it over. It was that way in the refinery sometimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom