How do yall measure your powder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Lee "Safety scale" and it's easy to use but I am thinking about getting an electric scale. What do yall prefer for loading rifle ammo? This isn't for loading stuff for plinking, but for "precision".

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RCBS Powder Pro, Lee Dippers and an RCBS trickler. Don't care for the trickler - I find it too fiddly for me - I've learned to better manage the amounts in the dipper. Don't forget to weigh the bullets, too.

:twocents:

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Lyman beam scale that my dad gave me and used to be his. I've used electronic scales too, they can be very annoying with having to warm up and then drifting, sensitive to air currents, etc. Usually had to kill the A/C when I was weighing charges.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a RCBS 750 which is a great little digital scale. Those scale/dispensers are also pretty sharp.

I'm going to say however that if you want true repeatable accuracy that you might want to consider a beam scale! The reason is that digital scales all have a load cell at their heart and load cells fluctuate. They usually deal with this by constantly rezeroing themselves when nothing is on the pan. That is why many of them have a -0- indicator. While at zero, very small changes in the load cell are ignored and assumed to be the "real zero". Once you add a measureable quantity to the pan it leaves zero and will no longer recalibrate, but remember that the longer you are off of zero the longer that load cell has to wander a bit and your weight be off. So, digital scales are really great for fast measurements. Let it zero, put on the item, get the weight, remove the item, let it zero, repeat. I'm not saying it will do a bad job with high accuracy, there are certainly high accuracy digital scales, just that most of the ones you see for reloading do tend to wander a bit. If you want to spend $300+ on an industrial or lab type scale, that would do better.

Good luck,

Alan

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with the previous comments about electronic scales. From some of my experience and articles I've read about reloading, many of the non-electronic powder dispensers do a pretty consistent job of throwing powder charges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom