How do yall measure your powder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This discussion so far does not address the issue of whether an error of 0.05gr in a 55gr rifle charge is significant to accuracy. Varying humidity from a wet day to a dry day can cause error as much as the scale. As far as breezes, beam scales are at least as sensitive to wind currents as are the electronics. I've used the ultra-accurate lab beams in the double boxes that can weigh my signature.

This questiion is relevant, especially considering most bench rest competitors dip their powder charges when on the line, and don't weigh them at all.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistol - Lee Auto-Disk
Match loads - throw with Lee .1 grain under, onto the Redding beam to top off with Redding trickler
Rifle load development - dippers and Redding beam
Case and bullet sorting - digital scales (I got Frankfort and Steve's wholesale no-name that works amazingly well).

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use beam scales from RCBS, Lyman and Ohaus for the really delicate stuff, I use them to set my RCBS and Dillon powder measures. I have a Lyman 1200B electronic dispenser that I use for some applications, especially large magnum rifle cases. I like them all. They are all sensitive to air flow. I keep the check weight on hand when I am using the electronic scale and I frequently cross check the powder load it throws on a beam scale. So far, I have had no problems. Blitzfike

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For rifle when I'm just loading up 20 or 40 I set up my lee safety scale (the $20 one) and use a 50AE case that I made into a dipper with a piece of wire. I dip and drop onto a cheapo MTM battery powered scale. Check every couple loads with the Lee beam scale.

For pistol I use the Hornad Lock n Load AP and set it up using the Lee scale. Again, I'll check a load every once and a while and use a powder cop die to verify consistent drops too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom