How do you balance and budget...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Str8 Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other day i was purchasing some more ammo and yes ammo after just a few times of going to the range or trying to stock up ammo hits the wallet hard. So i am curious of a few things from everyone:

- when do you purchase range ammo?
- when do you buy defense ammo?
- how often do you buy each?
- is it part of your budget?
- any suggestions on a balance of the two?

curious to see how people basically balance practice ammo and defense ammo while stocking up on defense ammo.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i usually buy ammo the day before i go shooting. the best place i have found to get ammo is when i am at a gun show. i buy corrosive but clean my guns after shooting. my friends get mad at me because they want me to save up for MW3 but as soon as i get money i spend it on ammo. i also try to get it for free like in give aways. i got 100rd's for free lately. i go with the cheap stuff but inspect it before i shoot it.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rimfire... at a ratio of about 10rimfire to 1 centerfire you shoot. Get a conversion kit for your handgun or buy a semi auto or revolver that mimics your favored handgun.

any time spent behind a 22 build marksmanship skills

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main ammo I buy is .223 55 gr ball, luckily walmart has american eagle for $6/20 and I ussualy buy a couple boxes everytime I go(3-4 times a month). As for defensive, I dont practice with it nearly enough, I'll buy a box and shoot about half of it practicing then carry the other half, then buy another box as funds permit.

It sounds bad when I say I only prcatice with half, but I mostly practice with a mag only loaded with 2-3 rnds, so its more technichal than punching holes in paper.

BDSolutionsArdmore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets see between 12GA, 22lr, 380 Auto, 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 45 APC, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Lapua the bottom three are the only rounds that I regularly purchase. 12GA and 22 I just buy up as I find deals here and there. 380 is a mixture of ball and defense ammo that I buy up again as I find deals. Everything above pistol wise I hand load defense and shoot-em-up ammo as I get about a 1000 cases clean. The rifle ammo is all hand loaded I can't remember the last time that I paid for loaded rifle ammunition.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost never buy ammo other than .22LR. I reload everything else I shoot.

I can load 1000 9MM for about $110

I also reload 7.62x25 and 8MM Mauser.

The only time I buy centerfire ammo is if it's dirt cheap. Not long ago I got a good deal on a can of 800 7.62x25 Bulgarian. I cannot load it as cheap as this was.

I do try to work a little cash into my reloading fund as I can. Although lately I've been so broke I've been using up a lot of the stocks of 9MM I had in my ammo locker. I need to replenish ASAP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom