How do you prepare for a flood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this has been discussed before if so sorry for the duplicate, but how in the world do you prepare for a flood like were seeing in Colorado right now? I understand just preparing for a storm in general and possibly being cut off from rescue, but when the water is creeping or in this case roaring in what then? How do you keep what you've worked so hard for from being destroyed?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these
[Broken External Image]

ROFLMAO!! Caojyn ... :D

I dunno, other than make sure you have ALL your important papers, credit and debit cards, checkbooks, wallet, current bills, etc. in ONE place where you can grab them up and run. Keep the cars at least 3/4 full of gas. Keep a 72-hour bag in your car.

Of course, that's assuming you are gonna get ANY warning at all ...

I lived in a duplex back in the late 70s that flooded (creek next to it left it's banks). First clue I had that anything was wrong was when I heard water lapping at the patio door in the middle of the night. I got up and looked out the door and the water was already knee-deep at the door and seeping in around the edges. I lost everything that wasn't on the top shelves in the closets and garage ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.mynewmarkets.com/articles/91073/flood-damage-not-limited-to-flood-zones

Granted, this is written for insurance professionals trying to sell flood insurance but it illustrates the fact that you do NOT have to be living in what the majority of folks believe to be "flood prone areas" to be subject to flooding.

Additionally, manmade structures will put certain areas at risk for flooding that weren't at risk many years ago. This is evident is at least two neighborhoods in my area where increased construction has strained the existing drainage system and the overload floods the streets and yards (and potentially the homes) of certain neighborhoods over and over each rainy season.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted, this is written for insurance professionals trying to sell flood insurance but it illustrates the fact that you do NOT have to be living in what the majority of folks believe to be "flood prone areas" to be subject to flooding.

Yep, just ask the people in Duluth, MN who lived on the hill above town when their homes were flooded last year. If you're downhill from anywhere you're not just getting your two inches of rain you're getting THEIRS, too.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whos BOB has floaties in it?

Top image result on google for adult floaties is this lucky fella LMAO

juliauntapered.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_floaties.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom