How do you switch from a Standard Transmission to to an Automatic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ZF5 5 speed transmission in my old Ford is awesome. Not a darn thing wring with it. But I want speed. I want better gas mileage. Any ideas how I could go about sticking a C6 transmission in it?

Or should I sell to one of you guys and buy a 1/2 ton? Lol

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ZF5 5 speed transmission in my old Ford is awesome. Not a darn thing wring with it. But I want speed. I want better gas mileage. Any ideas how I could go about sticking a C6 transmission in it?

I don't think you'll get better mileage with a c6. I'd think worse. My vote is keep the 5 speed. Makes it so 80% of the population can't steal it.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I say leave the truck mostly as designed. Sell it and buy something different. Maybe a 99-03 Chevy if the old Ford isn't to your liking. The old fords are built to go long not fast.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but different length transmissions, all the C6 trans cooling items would have to be installed from the trans to the radiator, new cross members built, starter, either a new auto steering column or floor shift, etc. C6 is pretty well known for being a hp thief as well lol.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Switching from manual to auto CAN be done, but not a bolt in swap.
Manual to auto will NOT get you better mileage. Manual is positive lockup. Auto has slippage.
Going from a 5 speed to a 3 speed will not get you better mileage. 3rd gear is ~ 1 - 1. 4th and 5th gears are overdrive.
C6 is tough trans, but not an improvement over what you have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom