How does your lock stand up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this guy a week or so ago...he sure puts a sense of insecurity on most locks. Obviously, average joe isnt going to get into most locks as easily as he does being trained in the field...but it is scary stuff we (or I) thought was "good" is just junk to give you the warm fuzzies of security.

Same here. I started watching a lot of the video's around the time my wife passed away to try and keep my mind occupied. Watching this guy go through stuff with a pick makes your butt pucker to say the least. I ended up picking up an Abus disc detainer lock for a storage unit and a different lock for where I live not long after. I was thinking about a getting a small lathe after watching one of his buddies work a challenge lock, Bosnian Bill does quite a few. One of the most successful designs that would easily be able to be done is where the cylinder is reduced and a sleeve is added. Coupled with spools as soon as tension is applied the lock binds against the spools. Since you can not use a bump key or single pin pick a lock without applying tension it makes even trivial locks impossible. The only other lock I would trust at this point is the Bowley lock that is a warded pin tumbler. Can't get to the pins to manipulate them and it's pretty simple to say the average thief is going to move on to a simpler target. That is also the thought behind the disc detainer lock. Here the average thief will not have the tool or the skill to mess with it so they will move on.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seen a guy on youtube cut up a coke can and open up a master lock with it, was pretty wild, after that I don't want to use master locks anymore, its going to be a disc lock like most storage units make you use.

That is called shimming it's easy to do with a lot of cheap locks. The bad thing is that a lot of disc locks have flaws too. Some can be opened with a pair of pliers and most of the time you are looking at a 4 pin or if you are lucky a 5 pin lock as there are so small it's hard get much more than that in them. The disc detainer lock I have is more like a 6 pin lock but each disc has to be turned to the correct angle to get an open, it is also a disc style lock as well. The one I have is a 70 mm size disc but they also have a larger 80 mm size.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Locks do 1 thing, which is keep honest folks honest!!! If you want to keep a thief out ............. , well your screwed !! It ain't gonna happen!!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Locks do 1 thing, which is keep honest folks honest!!! If you want to keep a thief out ............. , well your screwed !! It ain't gonna happen!!

For the most part I agree but you can slow a thief down which is my main goal when looking at a lock. If my lock is tougher than the neighbor's lock the thief will gravitate to the other place. Sad to say but very true. If everyone had a high security lock there would be more drive to figure a way through and I would be no safer than the neighbor. However since the neighboring places all have kwiksets I am confident that my place will be skipped if and when a thief decides to come through.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part I agree but you can slow a thief down which is my main goal when looking at a lock. If my lock is tougher than the neighbor's lock the thief will gravitate to the other place. Sad to say but very true. If everyone had a high security lock there would be more drive to figure a way through and I would be no safer than the neighbor. However since the neighboring places all have kwiksets I am confident that my place will be skipped if and when a thief decides to come through.

I get what your saying but at the same time a determined thief will prevail!! Also a lot of times today the jerks don't even try the lock they just kick the whole frame in so you may want to look at a device that makes kicking the door in harder as well!!
https://www.amazon.com/Door-Securit...&qid=1558887369&s=gateway&sr=8-59-spons&psc=1

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, yeah I don't think someone will be kicking to easily either. The first thing I do when I move in is get some 6 inch screws and run them through the striker plate area as well as replace some screws on the hinge side. I also do everything I can to reinforce the jamb area without making noticeable modifications since I am in an apartment but my place is more secure than my neighbors. I am actually thinking about a nice hefty lag bolt that the deadbolt will strike against but can be hidden under the jamb is in order. The big plates that run the whole length are so thin they won't do a lot of extra and most of the time it's just little quarter to half inch screws into 3/4 pine. I get into the studs underneath the jamb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom