How exactly do you figure out the source of a roof leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been leaking since we moved in in 2015. Had the roof redone in 2020 or so and it didn't stop.

There's no attic or access, it's an addition that was built in 1955 (house was built in 1940). I'm not a roofer, but it seems like that Valley is the culprit somehow. I've tried rubber sealant under the shingles that overlap the metal, but it didn't help.

Seems like I'm gonna have to tear up a bunch of roof.

Attachments

• 20240706_150115.jpg
    20240706_150115.jpg
    6.1 MB
  • 20240706_145707.jpg
    20240706_145707.jpg
    2.3 MB

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 492094
Why are there no shingles on this area? This is where your leak is coming from.
There are no shingles in that area because it’s a dead valley. Two opposing sloped areas of the roof meet on a flat spot instead of a regular valley. A pan is usually constructed out of sheet metal that funnels the water off of the roof.
If not constructed properly they will leak.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has been leaking since we moved in in 2015. Had the roof redone in 2020 or so and it didn't stop.

There's no attic or access, it's an addition that was built in 1955 (house was built in 1940). I'm not a roofer, but it seems like that Valley is the culprit somehow. I've tried rubber sealant under the shingles that overlap the metal, but it didn't help.

Seems like I'm gonna have to tear up a bunch of roof.
If you can clear all the trash out of the dead valley and post up another picture it would help in figuring out your problem.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can clear all the trash out of the dead valley and post up another picture it would help in figuring out your problem.
Holy cow who "redid" your roof and why is all that debris up there? Its really not to difficult to locate leaks. If your clean off the trash and take a couple of photos I might be able to help you. Is that a metal valley?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Could be the siding laying on the roof, should be on a wall somewhere . That will definitely get the water under the shingles. Is there a half rake gable out of the pic missing siding? Dormer?

Last edited:

Targetshooter

Marksman
Reaction score
Went through a similar situation on our house around the chimney when it was new. After several attempts from local roofers, I contacted A-Best Roofing. They took one look at my issue and told me I needed a cricket. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom