how fast are you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So PG, how have the last 40 years affected your reaction time. I see from other posts that your accuracy is still there, which is the most important, but curious how your reaction time is now? I am unsure of your Location, as I am sure you need to keep that silent for security issues. However, if you are around the Tulsa area, I would love to pay your range time, ammo, and any other expenses at 2A Shooting Range to see and learn some pointers. If you are closer to OKC, I would make the same offer and go to H&H. Please let me know the date you are available and I will gladly make arrangements.

I think you would have to pay for his babysitter to come with him. Mom and dad might be busy that day. :D

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the old west test of draw speed was to hold your hand outstretched, palm down, at waist height, with a coin on the back of the hand. Let the coin fall, draw and dryfire before the coin can hit the ground. That's about .55 second, and of course, does not include your .20 second reaction time ,nor the hitting of any target at all, with an openly worn pistol. While it takes a bit of doing if you are thumb-cocking an SA revolver, it's nothing special with a modeern handgun.

In the late 70's, after getting involved in IPCS matches, I worked at the fast draw until I could drop the coin from waist height, draw a 1911 from an IWB rig (but no garment concealing the butt of the pistol) and get to an eye level, 2 handed point firing position before the coin hit the deck. :-) With a lot more work, I was able to often(but not always) put the coin on the back of my left hand, hold it at waist height, let it fall as the left hand yanked up the tail of a t shirt, giving access to the pistol, draw and drysnap it before the coin hit the ground. Add in the .20 second reaction time to the "beep" of the electronic shooting timer, and the total is .75 second, to react, make a draw from REALISTIC ccw, and hit the chest at arm's length. Adding in live ammo, however, BETTER slow you down at least a little bit, so say .80 second. I have many times shown guys that I can react to the starting beep, with hands hanging naturally at sides, draw a Commander from iwb, under a shirt tail, and hit the chest at 10 ft, after going to the Weaver firing stance. Can you?

So, is there any video of this? I'd really like to see it.

If not, how about the names of witnesses that observed and timed your draws?

Failing that anyone might have actually witnessed and timed those, kindly explain how you managed to use you left hand to raise you shirt and your right hand to draw, and STILL be to operate a stopwatch.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
says who? P35 high :-)power, Dave Westerhaut. You guys already know that I know my stuff, therefore what you read on the Net is a bunch of lies. And what has this got to do with how fast you AINT?

Latest posts

Top Bottom