How hard is it to build an AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
very easy like everyone else has said just make sure you have the right tools, reddog is awesome btw he will give you a set of instuctions on how to build the lower when you buy it and you lpk. i have a vice if you need to use it, along with most of the tools needed, and im about to order the rest of them for a complete build soon lol im hooked lmk if you need help

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but here it goes whats a ballpark guess on what it would cost me to build my own AR-15 or AR-10? Just curious about it.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
build your own piece by piece upper and lwoer depends on so many factors like brands, used or new stuff, factor in tools? id say a mediocre rifle can be built for 500 if u find some good deals... now if u build the lower and buy the upper maybe 600or so no tools facctored in

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
build your own piece by piece upper and lwoer depends on so many factors like brands, used or new stuff, factor in tools? id say a mediocre rifle can be built for 500 if u find some good deals... now if u build the lower and buy the upper maybe 600or so no tools facctored in

Cool thanks. That makes it interesting to see what kind of deals I could get and put one together. Been thinking for awhile that I wanted a project gun. This might just fit the bill. Thanks again for the info.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get one built for about 550 low, sky is the limit high. You don't need special tools, I use a set of vice grips, needle nose, box knife,and a punch set, LOTS OF masking tape, flathead screwdriver, and a small hammer. A vice is very helpful, but you can live without it. Oh and about a half inch thick piece of wood plank, any length.

Special tools are nice if you plan on building a lot, but most of us do one or two, so it is not too practical to go get a zillion bucks worth of tools.

(the above is about lowers only, you will need a few tools for the upper)

Last edited:

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
check you tube on assembly, tons of content that shows just how easy this is. i built my fist one, and am waiting for parts to build my second this week.

tons of fun.

one thing i think a person needs to do it right without maring the gun, is a vice and a upper receiver vice block for installing the barrel. i also got a nice punch kit, probably not as necessary but will probably make installing roll pins much more easy.

i will try to list off the top of my head the basic parts needed for a standard ar. if i miss something please correct me.

lower receiver
(if stripped) a lower parts kit
buffer tube (comes in commercial and mil spec sizes. this is important so you get the right stock to fit the buffer tube)
stock
buffer spring
buffer
castle nut (secures buffer tube to lower receiver)
Upper receiver
Barrel (tons of variations, the basic importance for assembly is its design for what length gas system to install, typically i think there are carbine, mid, and rifle length)
either a piston kit, or gas block and a gas tube of the proper length for what barrel you have. a roll pin for the gas block (some come with pin). (gas block may also be the front a2 sight)
flash hider or comp or thread protector for barrel end.
barrel nut, or delta ring assembly and forearm end plate and hand guards. (yankee hill makes nice free float hand guard forearms, they come with the barrel nut, easy to install and looks good)
bolt carrier (usually sold with key on top already installed) if you go with a piston kit, depending on the kit, some come with the proper carrier, and others come with or require a special key for the top of your carrier.
cam pin
bolt retaining pin
bolt (with extractor, extractor pin and spring, gas rings, and ejector, ejector pin, ejector spring) these can come as one assembled or in a separate parts kit.
firing pin
charging handle
a magazine

some sort of sights or scope.

i think that is everything for the basics, everything else is fancy or extra accessories.

again, if i missed something. please share.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I am done with my build I will have what I would consider a very quality rifle for 700 dollars. Loki complete upper, Palmetto State Lower, RRA two stage trigger and a franken stock/buffer with Magpul MOE stock, DPMS heavy buffer, UTG buffer tube.

I only want to build one rifle one time that will last for a long time and be a quality rifle and for 700 bucks I have no doubt I have achieved that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom