Math Problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You have duplicate sets in there. There's only four possible combinations.

ETA: I see you corrected, reading comprehension, Duh! I'll go sit in the corner now! :hithead:
The only thing I corrected was adding the word "possible" between eight and scenarios right after I first posted lol unless you're referring to something else.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So let's look at the odds of 3 plants all being male (or female).

Let's assume this species is 1/2 male and 1/2 female. So that's 50% odds of a single plant being male (or female). This would then be true for each plant you add to the mix. To figure the chance of them all being male (or female) you multiply the percent chance. So 50%x50%x50% = 12.5%.

So with 3 plants you have a 12.5% of them all being the same sex. Or for what you are asking, an 87.5% chance that they will reproduce.

I understand your rationale, but did you account for the possibility of all males and all females in your calculations? It seems your number of 12.5% only accounts for one of those two possibilities?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand your rationale, but did you account for the possibility of all males and all females in your calculations? It seems your number of 12.5% only accounts for one of those two possibilities?

By my rational 12.5% is the chance of being all male or all female.

Edit: on further review I see what you mean. There would be a 12.5% chance of being all male AND a 12.5% chance of being all female. Therefore there is a 75% chance of having a mix.

I hate math.....

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
By my rational 12.5% is the chance of being all male or all female.
That's correct. 50/50 chance of pulling a male or female each time for three pulls.....

All three the same
12.5%
At least one the same
87.5%
Just one the same
37.5%
At least two the same
50%
Exactly two the same
37.5%
None of them the same
12.5%