How long do written warnings for speeding stay in the system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stupid and driving on a road I didn’t know well trying to get to my friend’s wedding on time. Was stuck behind semi trucks until it opened to what I thought was a two lane highway and I sped past them... got pulled over immediately by a police officer going the other way. Didn’t realize it was still only a 55mph speed limit. Doh!

The officer was very friendly but warned me that the written warning he is giving me is going to stay in their records in case I ever get caught speeding again. Not that I plan to speed and get pulled over again, but how long does it stay in the record for a 1-10 mph over the limit? And does it only show up in Oklahoma?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It only stays in the record of the agency that wrote it, and will only show up if another agency asks them. It is not on your permanent DPS record which is the one that matters.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most towns in Oklahoma do not report ANY tickets to a "central" agency - OKC, Tulsa, and Lawton being exceptions.

This way, they can use the tickets as revenue enhancement that they can keep. If the ticket is reported to DPS, the revenue from the ticket is split, the municipality writing it keeping the smaller fraction.

Also, as happened to me in Guthrie, it enables a "no contest" plea, which involves the regular fine, a stern warning from the judge, and no other punishment - if one doesn't get another in 6 months.

BTW, my ticket was not for speeding.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regard to municipalities reporting tickets, some do report to the OSBI for inclusion of those tickets and fines to the individual's criminal record. As Dumpstick mentioned, MOST towns do not report to the OSBI, and not even all of the tickets in Tulsa and OKC are likely reported. I doubt that ANY warning tickets are reported. At least, I never saw any of those when I worked at the OSBI.

What gets reported to the DPS for one's driver's license record, I'd have no idea.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only Municipal tickets that get reported to DPS are speeding 10 or more over, no insurance, and I think driving under suspension and reckless.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With regard to municipalities reporting tickets, some do report to the OSBI for inclusion of those tickets and fines to the individual's criminal record. As Dumpstick mentioned, MOST towns do not report to the OSBI, and not even all of the tickets in Tulsa and OKC are likely reported. I doubt that ANY warning tickets are reported. At least, I never saw any of those when I worked at the OSBI.

What gets reported to the DPS for one's driver's license record, I'd have no idea.
In Broken Arrow, "Driving around a construction barrel" gets reported to DPS, is a mandatory license suspension and is a mandatory court date in front of the judge.
Which may also lead to the cancellation of your insurance and a longer DL suspension.
Insert facepal here.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Broken Arrow, "Driving around a construction barrel" gets reported to DPS, is a mandatory license suspension and is a mandatory court date in front of the judge.
Which may also lead to the cancellation of your insurance and a longer DL suspension.
Insert facepal here.

Some things that seem like such a good idea at the time turn out to be not such a good idea.....

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It as so UNclearly marked that traffic was flowing right through the construction zone right in front of the cop.
Long story short, Construction area was improperly and unclearly marked,
BA allowed me to pay the ticket right after I was issued the ticket, never told me it was a state mandatory license suspension and court appearance.
I found out over 8 months later when my insurance cancelled me.
BA reply was, "we didn't know.", "Yeah we've had a lot of these, there were some Mistakes." "Dismissed"

Tossers

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It as so UNclearly marked that traffic was flowing right through the construction zone right in front of the cop.
Long story short, Construction area was improperly and unclearly marked,
BA allowed me to pay the ticket right after I was issued the ticket, never told me it was a state mandatory license suspension and court appearance.
I found out over 8 months later when my insurance cancelled me.
BA reply was, "we didn't know.", "Yeah we've had a lot of these, there were some Mistakes." "Dismissed"

Tossers
"Didn't know."

If you trust a government agent, well, I have a bridge for sale. Cash only, small, unmarked, non-sequential bills.

Latest posts

Top Bottom