How much trouble to customize a Yogo 8mm mauser.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Yugo mauser 24/47 that I am thinking about using to action to build a custom rifle. How much trouble am I in for? I know I need a barrel, stock, and trigger setup. Is there some mystery that will cost me a huge headache? Also any caliber recommendations? I would like to set it up for long range.
thanks
Dave

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Rim diameter on 8mm Mauser is .470", rim diameter on the .308/.30-06 family is .473", so you *should* be able to use the same bolt assembly if you use that family of cartridges.

I have a vz24 sporterized, in 7mm-08, and other than modifying the bolt handle, I'm pretty sure it's just barrel, trigger, and stock changes.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Mauser_7mm_08_IMG_3083_Small.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rim diameter on 8mm Mauser is .470", rim diameter on the .308/.30-06 family is .473", so you *should* be able to use the same bolt assembly if you use that family of cartridges.

I have a vz24 sporterized, in 7mm-08, and other than modifying the bolt handle, I'm pretty sure it's just barrel, trigger, and stock changes.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Mauser_7mm_08_IMG_3083_Small.jpg

WOW, Thats sweet looking!!!!!!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I'm all about chopping up some wore out wood-and-metal, I've done it a few times.
With that said - for a first custom rifle I would go with Savage or AR platform: most of the upgrades don't require any heavy machinery and can be done with hand tools and occasional specialty tool.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have the tools it can get rather costly, drill and tap for scope, forge bolt handle or bend for scope, lap the lugs, lap the boltface, fit and chamber the barrel, stockwork and stock, trigger, safety, etc. etc. I have a couple that I have built and really love the old Mausers but I would recommend if you want to build something go with a Savage action as most everything can be done without a smith and special tools.

I'm not saying NOT to build a Mauser cause as you can see they can be awesome beautiful rifles and can be made to be very accurate. Good luck to ya! Later,

Kirk

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good buddy of mine recently retired from the AF, and was taking a kind of "casual" class at some local vo-tech involving gun smithing. There were a plethora of guys that had done the very thing you are talking about. I think it was nearly free. I was gonna go sit in a couple of times, but couldn't find the time. He re barreled his 257 Roberts there, and a 30-40 Krag. His stuff is more original, but there were plenty of sporterized guns there too. PM me (to remind me) and I'll call him and find out which vo-tech that was.

Nikat, that is a B.E.A.Utiful rifle!

Latest posts

Top Bottom