How often to clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Um, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Please explain how a fouled rifle barrel works better than a clean one. And I have never heard of a barrel getting ruined through repeated cleaning. Improper cleaning? Yes. But not repeated cleaning, especially if you are only running a cloth/mop through the barrel.

When I speak of a fouled barrel shooting better I’m talking about a barrel, most likely factory, that has had 5-50 rounds fired through it during a shooting string. Do I have scientific data to back up my claim? No. But I do have real world experience that guides my opinion. Naturally, you can probably find differing opinions if you searched the web.

Most factory barrels are not hand lapped and have a rough internal finish when compared to a hand lapped custom barrel. This is why some may try http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-loaded-ammo to correct this issue in hopes of improving accuracy.

Through a course of fire one may experience a stringing group followed by the group tightening up. This could be caused by shooter error, quality of ammo, improper bedding, or slight differences in pressure due to fouling. Determining the culprit is difficult but if the group tightens up the ammo is probably not the issue and if the shooter has good and consistent shooting form it’s probably not shooter error. That leaves only the bedding and the barrel. If I clean the snot out of the barrel and take it back to the range and still have stringing issues followed with the group tightening up chances are it’s not the bedding. That leaves only the barrel. Now, why are the groups tightening up after a few rounds of fire? Could it be due to a light copper/carbon fouling? To check this, I would not clean the barrel after the range trip and I would wait to see if it strings rounds on the next trip to the range. If it doesn’t, I would deduce the barrel shoots best with light fouling. Once the accuracy goes to crap again it would probably be due to a heavy fouling issue and I would need to give the barrel a good cleaning with the knowledge it needs a few fouling shots for best accuracy.

I agree with what PR-6284 said concerning barrel cleaning. How many can say they have a bore guide, proper cleaning rod/jag/brush, and correct size patches? If you are using chemicals/paste, are you mixing chemicals/paste or getting all the chemicals/paste out of the barrel before shooting it? Are you leaving the chemicals/paste in the barrel too long? Are you using a stainless brush or scrubbing the barrel? Are you dragging it back through the crown or cleaning it from the muzzle end? How do you know you got all the copper fouling out? Chances are most people who believe they have cleaned their barrels still have light copper fouling and just don’t know it.

Improper cleaning will damage a barrel quicker than we think. I use a bore guide, nylon brush, bore tech cleaning rod/jag, and proper size patches. I use bore tech cleaning products only and never use pastes. Most of the time I don’t use a brush while cleaning and I don’t clean until accuracy falls off. But my barrel is a hand lapped Bartlein (not factory) and doesn’t seem to have a copper fouling problem. My Tikka has two range trips with 70 total rounds through it without the barrel being cleaned and it still shoots sub ¼ moa at 100 yards with reloads. Last weekend I shot it out to 1050 yards with no problems.

As I stated in the beginning, this is only my opinion but it is based on what I have experienced in the past. Some barrels don't shoot worth a crap when their clean, dirty, dry, or wet

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, at least you gave me a reasonable answer. I'll still clean my rifle after every range trip. From what you said its not the frequency that risks damage, but rather the technique and/or equipment. I might look into a one piece rod now for my rifle. But I do clean the rods after I use them and only use CLP. I usually run two clean, dry patches through to remove oil and any carbon left over.

If I had a custom barrel I would probably go the lengths you are going, but I'm running a run-of-the-mill BA barrel. I'll clean it the way I was taught by my dad and the military, its what I know.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the general opinion on the use of a bore snake. I've got a couple different calibers and they seem to do a good job without the risk of incurring rod damage*.

*(Your results may vary.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Bore Snakes. I've read some of the custom barrel builders recommend them. They do have to be kept clean though between cleaning sessions.
I wash mine in solvent and hang to dry.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On custom stainless barrels, without exception, I NEVER use anything other than a nylon brush.

I also keep the bore "wet" and it is never dried out until the day I go shooting. By keeping the bore wet between shooting sessions, there is never a one-shot fouled required, as the first shot is always dead on target.

Also, by keeping the bore wet with the "mix" that I use, both carbon and copper fouling are nonexistent, and the bore shines like a mirror with absolute zero trace of copper.

Even with 6mm rounds that exceed 4,000 fps. for varmint loads or 3,900 fps. for hunting loads, all barrels show zero sign of fouling, and are first round accurate every time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom