How often to clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm old fashioned and still use a rod with a sponge tip first then an eyelet with a cotton patch to wipe away excess oil and grit on my barrel. I've seen the bore snakes, just never used one. Same thing with the jags. I have a few that came with a kit, but never used one and honestly could not figure out how they work with a cotton patch. About once a month I use a sponge tip with clp, then a brush tip, sponge again then an eyelet with a cotton patch.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Tanis143,
Jags work like this: Screw the jag it into a cleaning rod, then use the pointy end of the jag to push a solvent-soaked cleaning patch through the barrel from the chamber end through the muzzle end. Follow up with clean patches. They work real well if you use the proper size Jag and patches. Give it a try. A good jag fits in there tight; providing a good cleaning to remove the crud and grawd-doo that gets built up in there.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Tanis143,
Jags work like this: Screw the jag it into a cleaning rod, then use the pointy end of the jag to push a solvent-soaked cleaning patch through the barrel from the chamber end through the muzzle end. Follow up with clean patches. They work real well if you use the proper size Jag and patches. Give it a try. A good jag fits in there tight; providing a good cleaning to remove the crud and grawd-doo that gets built up in there.

In other words it replaces the mop (just remembered what it is actually called lol) and eyelet together. I remember trying the 9mm one when I got the kit, but it wouldn't fit with the patches I got. I'll play around with it some more seeing as my mops are getting old and could use to be replaced.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a set of jags with just about every size for $15 give or take, Amazon has them and most sporting goods stores carry them. You can buy them individually, but if you have more than one or two calibers you'll soon spend enough to buy a kit. I just use the jag and a bore brush.

Tipton makes a set that will last a lifetime. That's the only kind I've ever used, except the occasional plastic one that comes in a cleaning kit.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cleaning...refix=cleaning+ja,aps,169&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use jags and think they are the best option for cleaning. You just have to make sure you use the correct size patches. Aries is correct by a set of them and you are good. Also I suggest buying quality coated one piece rods. They can be expensive but are well worth it. I buy the larger patches and cut them to what ever size I need instead of paying same price for 500 x 22lr patches as 500 x .45 patches.

As for cleaning I am pretty OCD and always liked my guns clean. Now that my kids shoot so much I may go a couple range visits before taking them down and cleaning . I never leave anything dirty for more than a couple weeks regardless. Before my son started shooting I cleaned everything every time I shot it. He can twist my arm and shoot 1-2k round in a week and wants to shoot half a dozen guns at each range visit. So I have him where he can clean pistols now and I clean long guns. Makes it go much faster.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody that has ever fired and cleaned a Muzzle loader has used jags for the most part.
I need to check out those Tiptons.
I don't clean anything on a regular basis unless it's one of my competition pistol/rifle. They get a full strip, clean and lube before each match.
I'm amazed at the number of folks that don't use lube on their guns. We have shooters that have FTE's, and FTL all the time. As an RO I'm looking at their gun pretty closely and they are dry. I'll offer them some lube in a non judgemental way, and some will take it, and their gun will run, but there are some that say their gun runs better dry. All the while I'm thinking this guy isn't going to be in the top tier of scores because he is spending all his time clearing jams caused by running dry, but it's their game and I tried.

Last edited:

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I shoot one single shot - I clean!

If I shoot 500 rounds - I clean!

The bores of ALL my guns are spotless, and so are the actions/internal workings of each and every gun.

I cannot and will not tolerate a gun failure at any time, and by keeping each and every gun CLEAN, I can eliminate any and all failures that can be caused by a dirty firearm. And by keeping everything clean, I can visually inspect every part of a gun for excessive wear, and if I see something that needs further attention, I can repair or replace anything worn or damaged.

Overkill? Maybe! But at least I won't have to worry about any issues at the most inopertune time.

Me, too, and I enjoy cleaning them after I shoot them.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once I saw a retiring Alva P.D. officer's cylinder on his 38 Model 10 being hammered open because the green grunge had invaded, I have cleaned my guns after every usage or once a week when I carried every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom