How often to clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pistols/revolvers/semiautomatic shotguns after each use. Bolt and single shot rifles only when accuracy starts to worsen. O/U shotguns only if they get rained on or sweat on, otherwise hardly ever.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always give 'em a good wipe down with oil and make sure the moving parts are well lubricated. I usually pass a bore snake through stuff after a range trip...usually.

I'm not all about 2 hours of shooting and 5 hours of scrubbing. I will say I do keep my carry guns cleaner than I do my range toys but neither get NASTY (Except the Buckmark. I abuse that thing and it seems to like it).

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on how they run.

All guns get a bore snake after a range session. As well as all weapons get a quick visual inspection.

At home I take care of anything I observed in the visual, I track down any failures, and I fix anything I find that needs needs fixing. Now, the optics/sights, chambers, extractors, feed mechanisms and stock get a cleaning depending on how dirty they are. And regardless I verify things are lightly oiled, greased, operational and clearances are good. I also look into the rifling at this time.

Every few trips I do a breakdown and cleaning even if nothing was wrong in the major components. But, I still leave the rifling alone.

Every few breakdowns I will open mechanical components and clean inside of them also. This is a deep clean, but I still leave the rifling alone.

Now, inside the barrel. If I don't see dirt, junk, plastic, copper or lead build up I run a patch slowly a half dozen to a few dozen times, if it feels wrong, looks wrong, sounds wrong, or anything sets my oh crap meter ringing then I clean the bore. Oh, and run the patch once from either end, use muzzle and chamber protection. Inspect those patches.

Now magazines are a yearly item if they are working correctly. As are all accessories I use.

Every few years I pull everything for a full and deep clean, even if unfired for the whole time.

I find the revolvers, semiautomatic's, and shotguns to be the worst. My bolt actions and single shots are the best. Archery equipment is easier to clean and needs the least amount of fuss. Fishing gear needs less than the guns do. And as I get older I think I need more maintenance then all the weapons now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father taught me to clean after each outing. That was probably 60+ years ago, and I have never given it a thought to do otherwise. Same practice while in the Army, so it just seemed like the right way to go.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the summer time when I carry IWB I have to clean twice a month if I don’t it looks like my dryer vent other than that my bolt guns are like okie4570 said whenever the groups start opening up.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always cleaned my guns after every use.

I put 100 rounds through my 45 ACP SA M1911 this morning and even though I know I'm going back to the range again in the morning and fire another 100 rounds through it I still tore it down and cleaned it when I got home today.

I've never considered cleaning my guns or reloading a chore I actually enjoy both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom