How old do you think you’ll live to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't read any of the previous post.

Very depressing to think about living at an older age.
I purposefully avoid thinking about it although I try to live my life so that others will not have a hard time caring for me when I am old and feeble.
I see how much of a burden being disabled is on others who are caring for them.
I really do not want to live to be old, and the fact that this country is gone to shite, really? Who wants to enjoy this for many more years?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could loose 25 and maybe 50- can't get my mind right- probably what will get me- old heart will quit puttin up with my fat ass
My family mostly depends on heart attacks to save us from cancer. I'm 19 years older than my dad was when he had his first heart attack. Haven't had one yet, at age 69. OTH, I smoked for less than a year when I was a teen, and have never been a heavy drinker. Dad drank and smoked heavily for most of his life. Still made it to age 77. Both of my male grandparents died at age 70.

On the gripping hand, dad was never overweight. Both grandfathers and myself could have/can stand to lose 50 pounds or more. No way to call it.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there.

It’s a privilege and honor to get the chance to care for those who cared for you.

I didn’t get to with my dad. But was able to help care for my mom as she aged and passed.
And we’ve been blessed to help my father in law cross over and we are now getting to help care for mother in law as she ages into her journey.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It’s a privilege and honor to get the chance to care for those who cared for you.

I didn’t get to with my dad. But was able to help care for my mom as she aged and passed.
And we’ve been blessed to help my father in law cross over and we are now getting to help care for mother in law as she ages into her journey.
Took care of my mother for a few weeks near the end of her life. Third bout with ovarian cancer, and she'd decided not to fight it any longer. She'd also lied to us all about how she was doing. Youngest brother &spouse were both LPNs. Found she had terrible edema, skin splitting and leaking fluid. Enough to leave a puddle on the bathroom floor. He needed to get his living situation squared away. I took a bus to Cali to help her while he got that done. Got back to OK just in time to start my classes. He and his wife cared for her the last month and a couple days of her life.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I disagree. My dad always said "if I ever get like that, shoot me. I don't want to live like ****".

I didn't shoot him, he got in such awful shape it's criminal. I honestly thought about going extra on his pain meds to hasten him along, but I didn't. I feel somewhat guilty for not doing so, but he had the opportunity to exit before it got that far. I do not intend for my last few years to be like his. An accident, a stroke, something may prevent me from making that decision, but if possible I will not be like Dad.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. My dad always said "if I ever get like that, shoot me. I don't want to live like ****".

I didn't shoot him, he got in such awful shape it's criminal. I honestly thought about going extra on his pain meds to hasten him along, but I didn't. I feel somewhat guilty for not doing so, but he had the opportunity to exit before it got that far. I do not intend for my last few years to be like his. An accident, a stroke, something may prevent me from making that decision, but if possible I will not be like Dad.
No kidding. I have the means and the will. I have dealt with enough pain and indignity in this world already. There are certain things I refuse to suffer through.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hospice, with an effective pain & anxiety control protocol, will allow people to pass away in comfort & dignity. Had a close relative pass away recently who had a prescribed fentanyl patch, & also received morphine & Ativan every 3 hrs ATC. Was on that protocol for weeks.
The most common response I’ve heard from families about hospice is they wish they brought the patient in sooner. Most people think Hospice is only for someone actively dying, but you can be eligible for hospice months prior to death. The MD only has to document he/she believes the patient will pass away within 6 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom