How soon for rolling electrical blackouts in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a question I was pondering as I read this thread. I don’t know how many times my heater would have cycled in the hour and 45 minutes the power was off, but, it ran constantly for 3 hours when it came back on. So, how much was really saved?
If we assume that they're telling the truth, and it's not some vast conspiracy to weaponize the weather against the red states, the point wasn't to save power, it was to save power right now. It doesn't matter if it takes more energy to recover later, they were just trying to avoid overloading the system when the emergency was declared.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we assume that they're telling the truth, and it's not some vast conspiracy to weaponize the weather against the red states, the point wasn't to save power, it was to save power right now. It doesn't matter if it takes more energy to recover later, they were just trying to avoid overloading the system when the emergency was declared.
Ah ok, that makes more sense. So even with no savings, it keeps the system operational.
:drunk2:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went through and turned off and unplugged as much as we could. I was surprised. Obviously, left tv, computers, most appliances, and electronics plugged in but was able to unplug probably a dozen to 15 items.
My wife goes around unplugging everything including the toaster and I told her it doesn't use electricity by simply being plugged into a receptacle unless it is being used to toast bread. What do you think?

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this price gouging in Texas? Seems a bit unfair and unlawful.
Homeowners hit with massive electric bills amid Texas ...

Texas has a deregulated power grid. You would shop power suppliers and sign a contract with that provider. You can get fixed rates or adjustable rate contracts. In the event you had a adjustable rate contract, you would pay in the event of a price increase to the supplier what ever the max is on your contract.
Thats where some folks are in a bind, the cost of power to the energy companies increased in some cases to $9,000 a MWH, leading to those high energy bills.

Here in oklahoma we have a regulated energy grid. Take nat gas, the gas company that I use, Centerpoint, formally arkla, is forbidden by state law from making a profit on the gas it sells me. They can charge me the rate they paid for the gas but cannot make a profit off of the gas, thats why I see lines on my bill for delivery fee, meter fee and of course a customer fee, LOL.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@John6185

I think you may have put part of your response post into my quote. But yes, everything plugged in draws minute, tiny amounts of power. Think led lights on equipment, display screens and more, but even an Apple charger will draw a very small amount of power even when not charging a device. Unplugging unused electrical items may not save a ton on your bill, but imagine 100’s or 1000’s of homes doing it, it could make a difference on a grid. Turning down heaters or turning off lamps would make a bigger difference, but if you need/them want them on, then it is inconvenient when you don’t have them.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@John6185

I think you may have put part of your response post into my quote. But yes, everything plugged in draws minute, tiny amounts of power. Think led lights on equipment, display screens and more, but even an Apple charger will draw a very small amount of power even when not charging a device. Unplugging unused electrical items may not save a ton on your bill, but imagine 100’s or 1000’s of homes doing it, it could make a difference on a grid. Turning down heaters or turning off lamps would make a bigger difference, but if you need/them want them on, then it is inconvenient when you don’t have them.
. Well dadgum, I dint know all that. I knew if TV's are left plugged in that they draw electricity but toasters and such? I didn't know Thanks for the educational brief!

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to have switched power everywhere. As years have gone on I now have most things that have to be unplugged.

Yes, every light requires power.

I have a couple of blocks that I plug in to see how much power a device is using. But, that uses power to measure the power draw, thus I bought a 2nd. Fun to know what they draw, but I just unplug things anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom