How to build an AK: Cheapskate edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I wanted to build an AK, but I have no use for a hydraulic press or any of the other gizmos out there people spend hundreds of dollars on. Also, I'm only building one...stop laughing...

Parts list:

• Romanian Parts kit: Link ($250, us made barrel)
  • Nodak NDS-1 "EZ": Link ($85 shipped)
  • Rivet set from AK builder: Link($9)

Tools I'm using:

• Toth tool rivet jaws: Link ($75 shipped)
  • AK-builder trigger guard jig: Link ($75 shipped)
  • Air hammer/BFH
  • Needle files
  • Drill press with 7mm end mill (to drill the barrel pin holes)
  • 7.62x39 Go/No Go headspace guages: Link ($54)

For compliance parts, I'm using a Tapco G2 trigger group (3) US made barrel and receiver (2) and a US made muzzle brake (haven't decided on one yet). Check here to see if you're configuration is legal: GunWiki

Front Trunnion

Unfortunately, I don't have a vise yet. However, I do have a shelf and a bar clamp, so I clamped it to the shelf. Clamp it close to the center support to avoid squishing the receiver too much.

[Broken External Image]

Make sure the front trunnion holes line up. Place the rivets in the holes to hold the trunnion in position, and tape the ones in on the bottom side. The swell neck rivets go in the holes closest to the mag well. On mine, the holes for the middle rivets didn't line up, but it was close enough, so I just drilled out the hole to the same diameter as the rivet.

I used the bolt cutter method to install the rivets with some harbor freight 24" bolt cutters. I tried to grind the jaws myself like shown here, however, after days of picking metal slivers out of my hands and realizing I'd have to buy a ball end mill to make the rivet cup, I decided to just buy the Toth rivet jaws. They're pretty easy to re-sell these days.

[Broken External Image]

These things are pretty easy to use, just keep downward pressure on the rivet and try to keep the jaws level (I got carried away and got one of the rivets a little crooked, not that big a deal, but eh). Start with the front rivets, then do the middle rivets. Make sure to crush the rivets deep enough that the barrel will clear them.

Now to the magwell rivets. Take a 1/4" ball bearing and place it on the rivet hole like so:

[Broken External Image]

Use the rivet tool to squeeze it into the receiver, making a dimple for the swell neck rivets. Crush the rivets through the magwell, and you'll be done! You'll have a beautifully riveted front trunnion!

[Broken External Image]

To be continued...

Last edited:

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trigger Guard

For the trigger guard, I used the ak-builder trigger guard jig:
[Broken External Image]

I had to bevel one of the edges on the little anvil piece to make clearance for the lower rail, like so:
[Broken External Image]

Getting the trigger guard and rivets situated in the jig is pretty self explanatory. Once everything's in place, put the lower anvil plate over the 4 trigger guard rivets inside the receiver, and straddle the upper anvil piece over the center support:
[Broken External Image]

Now the fun part. What I'm about to describe is dangerous and hazardous to your health, and generally a bad idea, so I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU HURT YOURSELF, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, DON'T SUE ME PLZ KTHX, ETC. Just sayin'

I tried using my cheapo harbor freight air hammer, but it didn't have enough oomph, so I grabbed my 3Lb sledge and went at it. Almost broke my thumb though, so like I said before, I don't recommend it.

Anyway, moving to the rear rivet, just turn the anvil upside down and apply your pressure source of choice:
[Broken External Image]

Rivets turned out OK, not the prettiest, but meh, that trigger guard's not goin' anywhere:
[Broken External Image]

Checking the mag for a nice tight lockup:
[Broken External Image]

Now it's startin to look like an AK!

Rear Tang

Well, I'm not really going to go into too much detail on this one, because you shouldn't do it this way. The rivets come out looking kind of crappy:
[Broken External Image]

I used the trigger guard block as an anvil, and I wanted to have rounded rivet heads on both sides, so the idea was to use the small rivet cup as a punch on the hammer side. Bad idea, the rivet started to bend and after that there was no going back. It doesn't look pretty, but it seems pretty solid, so meh. I might re-do it some day when I have proper tools, but I doubt it'll fail, so whatever.

The rearmost rivet doesn't look too bad, on that one I started pounding the rivet flat with the large rectangular block until it expanded a fair amount, then use the small rivet cup to round the edges, so if you really want to go the brute force route, that's the way to go.

Here's the completed receiver:
[Broken External Image]

All that's left is to press in the barrel, drill the barrel pin holes, and parkerize the whole shebang. For that, I'll have to wait til I get a drill press, hopefully around Christmas :D

Last edited by a moderator:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's some great videos on YouTube concerning building your own AK. I need to get of my duff and finish the Yugo underfolder kit I have. Currently I have an 80% receiver for it so there will be a lot of cutting/filing work to do. I have a set of rivet tools I bought from a fellow OSAer. I hope to be able to find enough US made parts so I can use the original Yugo furniture on it.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments! Mostly learning as I go, figure someone else could benefit from my experiences

I hope to be able to find enough US made parts so I can use the original Yugo furniture on it.

I'm planning on refinishing the original furniture on mine. Trigger group counts as 3 (trigger, hammer, disconnector). If you're using the original barrel and need more compliance parts, the gas piston is an easy one.

I've got a trigger guard jig on order from ak-builder, should be here this week. I'm planning on using that for both the trigger guard and rear tang rivets, squashing them with an air hammer (or BFH if my air hammer isn't ballsy enough).

Still weighing the pros and cons of parkerizing before/after assembly to determine the order of the rest of the build. Hopefully I'll have a drill press by christmas to finish her off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom