How to build an AK: Cheapskate edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got all my parts on order. I am going to take the receiver, rivets and the barrel to my gunsmith. He said he would assemble the receiver for me. I am also going to get him to crown the barrel. This coupled with the Tapco muzzle break should tighten the grouping quiet a bit. When I am done, I will post some pictures and a video.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got all my parts on order. I am going to take the receiver, rivets and the barrel to my gunsmith. He said he would assemble the receiver for me. I am also going to get him to crown the barrel. This coupled with the Tapco muzzle break should tighten the grouping quiet a bit. When I am done, I will post some pictures and a video.

Nice! I'm sure it'll look a lot nicer than mine, haha.

I'm on hold til i can get a drill press to install the barrel, so no updates for a while :(

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If if just need a Drill Press, you can get a small bench drill press from Harbor Freight over off Reno and MacArthur. Bolt it to your work bench and set the spindle speed to low. Use some trimsol to lubricate the end mill. MSC Industrial will have the end mill.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I'm sure it'll look a lot nicer than mine, haha.

I'm on hold til i can get a drill press to install the barrel, so no updates for a while :(

All my parts have finally arrived. I found a screw kit that will substitute for the rivet kit. I found this other fellow here in Oklahoma who build's AK's. He had the links to get a lot of the stuff. Here is his link: http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/default.htm

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at building one of these too, what can you guys tell me about this receiver?
http://www.royaltigerimports.com/in...=154#!/~/product/category=2251849&id=14445568
Am I missing something here or is this a really good deal?

I don't have any experience with them, but based on the sentiment in the link below, they might be poor quality:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=487123

I wouldn't risk it for a $20 difference (the Nodak is $85 shipped, the RTI is $65 after shipping, and the Nodak has a good reputation).

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get 80% receivers, but you still have to have them drilled and heat treated. I bought the Nodak receiver through my dealer. My weapon should be done this weekend. After I get it back from the gunsmith, I will post a few pictures.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get 80% receivers, but you still have to have them drilled and heat treated. I bought the Nodak receiver through my dealer. My weapon should be done this weekend. After I get it back from the gunsmith, I will post a few pictures.

Nice! I was going to pick up a drill press this weekend, but some unexpected expenses came up. Looks like I'll be waiting until after the first of the year :( i'll probably press everything in and headspace it before then though

Latest posts

Top Bottom