How to catch an armadillo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This the best way. When I have one under our deck, use 2, 1x8 boards to funneled him to live trap. NO bait. Anchor trap with Rebar steaks Cause they really thrash around

I had a few traps I had built up with old metal milk crates, they last years. First armadillo tore the **** out the type I had built. So back to the shop to ad straps all over and weld heavier welds on them. They will tear a cheap ass trap up bad that most will buy at local farm places. Old metal milk crates are tough!

Yes on the funnel and mini marshmallows are their last treat! I kinda feel for them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't trap dillers. I've shot and killed well over a hundred in the 30+ years we live in the country. They just keep coming. Wife and I typically get up during the night for a bathroom call and scan the yard with a spotlight. They love the 3-4 am hour to be out digging in the yard. .22 mag takes care of the issue. We also have possums digging, squirrels digging, and now a skunk in the old shop building we use for storage now. Keep the mower in there.
I smelled a skunk about a week ago in the area of the old shop but blew it off as they are always around. We were gone in the RV all summer, and when getting home, noticed rat crap all over the west end of the shop, so set a trap and killed it. The rat crap had disappeared, so I'm thinking it's trapped in the shop living on the rat poop because today as I was getting on the mower, the skunk came out behind some scrap Iron in the corner and went back in.
Bailed off that mower while running and got out of the shop. After a few minutes, figured it had settled down and went back in to get the mower out leaving the garage door open.
Went out for dinner tonight, coming home after dark, so hopefully it left the shop. I'll set a live trap in there tomorrow and make sure before putting the mower away.
The suggestions to trap dillers using boards to direct them is what the Oklahoma trappers association recommend.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does an armadillo say FU? By digging for grubs next to the trap you set.
20230927_115101.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't stand over a live one. Sometimes they jump straight up, and they'll knock the heck out of you.
You know that weird feeling that you shouldn't do something but you really want to just to see if its true? I'm having that right now.
I have heard armadillos can carry LEPROSY? I don't know if that is true or not, handle with care. I retired from Sun Refinery in Tulsa. We had a problem with skunks in the tank farm, and hired a contractor to live trap them. An oil company can't kill anything without making tyhe world s wide news! This contractor told me that 80% of the skunks in Oklahoma carry, and could spread rabies, and that we had a state law that required, all skunks trapped had to be killed. I found that scary!!
Def not 80%, but I think theyre up there with Bats in most likely to be caught with rabies. Every bat that animal welfare found had to be sent in for a rabies check. only 20-30 animals a year are found positive for rabies in Oklahoma, including a horse in 2022, which is pretty odd.

On a similar subject, I do remember back in the day there was a night drop for animals at the OKC animal shelter, and you would find the craziest things in there. Working swing shift I would have to check every night for emergencies or surprises before going home for the night. One of the most memorable ones was a box full of skunk babies, or "kittens". Talk about a surprise opening that shoebox up!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hustling jugs out on the seismic line one fine day,,,
My crewmate spotted an armadillo and knew our boss liked them.

He decided to grab it by the tail and throw it in the bed of the pickup,,,
The dang thing got halfway into a hole and my buddy,,,
Pulled it's dang tail right off.

I never thought I would feel sorry for one of them critters,,,
But I did for this one.

Aarond

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hustling jugs out on the seismic line one fine day,,,
My crewmate spotted an armadillo and knew our boss liked them.

He decided to grab it by the tail and throw it in the bed of the pickup,,,
The dang thing got halfway into a hole and my buddy,,,
Pulled it's dang tail right off.

I never thought I would feel sorry for one of them critters,,,
But I did for this one.

Aarond

The secret to getting them out of a hole by the tail is to push them further down the hole so they reverse their claws. They come right out then. Done it many times while out bird hunting and the dogs chase them down a hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom