How to get started coyote hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyLarry79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coyotes are becoming more and more of a problem for me and my neighbors near Kellyville. I’ve got the rifles the land and the time but I don’t how the know how to do it effectively. I’m not much a hunter past squirrels and rabbits. I know they are out there I’ve found tracks seen them in the open and heard them during the day.

What’s the most affective ways of calling in coyotes? What time of day should I do that in? Is it reasonable to hunt the same spot multiple times? Is 100 yards a far enough distance to shoot from? I know coyotes are a little harder to walk up on than squirrels and rabbits. Would this be the kind of thing where I need a blind, set of camouflage, scent blockers, the whole works?

I have a holler on my land that the south facing slope doesn’t grow much tall grass. It has a clearing cut through the wooded part similar to what would be done to install power lines through a wooded area. I think this would be the perfect spot to set up a call and wait from the other side of the holler which is approximately 100-125 yards away depending on how high up the holler I sit. The brush is thick enough on the north slope to camouflage me but I could still shoot out of it accurately.

Planning on using a AR with a 3 power scope on it. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re going to get a lot of answers cause there’s a lot of good coyote callers/shooters here!

Get in some shade of a tree or bush, get the wind in your face, call with a crosswind into the place where you think the yotes might be, sit as high as you can on a hill without getting sky-lined, turn your head slowly to watch both sides and if possible down wind too, cause they’ll come from any direction. When you walk in, take your time and look around, I’ve shot a bunch before grabbing a spot to sit down.

Yotes aren’t particular as to what they’re shot with but they are a tough little animal, so hit them in the right spot or you’ll have them run off. Personally I like a soft point or hollow point bullet but fmj’s will work also.

If you let them they’ll come in shotgun close or they might see something and stay 300-400 yards out.

I like camo but have worn my Carhartt brown bibs. As far as calls go, rabbit in distress is a good one but fawn distress, bird calls even pup distress calls work good.

I like mouth calls but you might want an electronic, it just depends on what works for you. Be patient and don’t move quick. Good luck!

Last edited:

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get yourself an electronic game call. ICOTEC has one for $119 https://icotec.com/collections/game-calls
If you want to hunt at night get a Thermal scope.
I hunt Hogs at night & Coyotes.
If you use a Thermal be sure to get a couple of external battery packs. The Thermal that I use is an AGM TS25-256.
Hunting at night you can set your rifle on a tripod/Standing or sitting.
IMG_3018.jpeg

Last edited:

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of methods and variations for calling, the most efficient way is to trap them though.
Okie4570’s right on! If you can get a coyote to stick his paw in a 5” trap set on a quarter of land you’ve done something good!!

Nothing like the feeling of running traps at morning time and seeing them popping the trap chains, makes you feel like a kid at Christmas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom