How's everybody's garden doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa when he was living always planted his Okra in three plantings spread out. Kept the supply steady and grandma would not get overwhelmed with the canning of Okra all at once. I have never tried to plant a second planting. I had forgot about him doing so till reading CHenrys post.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandpa when he was living always planted his Okra in three plantings spread out. Kept the supply steady and grandma would not get overwhelmed with the canning of Okra all at once. I have never tried to plant a second planting. I had forgot about him doing so till reading CHenrys post.
I dont understand this. Once planted it puts off a steady amount (depending on weather) until I pull it up or we get a freeze.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up we planted HUGE gardens. Half acre of corn, 60 or more tomato plants, 1/8 acre of black eye peas, get my drift? He would start Okra at three different plantings, as when the first planting was or has been picked a few times, they stop producing as much, and then the second planting was starting to produce and be younger plants etc. etc. He would do this with Okra and Turnips if memory serves. We had a root cellar that was around 600sq ft and lined with shelves like a parts store, grandma, my mom and several aunts would all can, all summer long, we very seldom went to a grocery store. We had milk, meat, vegetable's, and a fruit orchard on both grandparents farms, and ours. Only staples like sugar, coffee, etc was bought from town. I am not that old, but I was 17 years old when I saw my first store bought milk carton, my mom brought home a half gallon of milk from the store in a paper carton, as we were having guests over one time from her school years and she wanted to have store milk for them, for some reason. To this day, I still shake the milk when I get it out of the fridge, to stir up the cream. LOL!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up we planted HUGE gardens. Half acre of corn, 60 or more tomato plants, 1/8 acre of black eye peas, get my drift? He would start Okra at three different plantings, as when the first planting was or has been picked a few times, they stop producing as much, and then the second planting was starting to produce and be younger plants etc. etc. He would do this with Okra and Turnips if memory serves. We had a root cellar that was around 600sq ft and lined with shelves like a parts store, grandma, my mom and several aunts would all can, all summer long, we very seldom went to a grocery store. We had milk, meat, vegetable's, and a fruit orchard on both grandparents farms, and ours. Only staples like sugar, coffee, etc was bought from town. I am not that old, but I was 17 years old when I saw my first store bought milk carton, my mom brought home a half gallon of milk from the store in a paper carton, as we were having guests over one time from her school years and she wanted to have store milk for them, for some reason. To this day, I still shake the milk when I get it out of the fridge, to stir up the cream. LOL!
Ah, them good ol days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I was a kid, we went to the Grand Parents place on Thursday nights to get milk and eggs. They were about 2 miles outside of town and had a dairy. I have fond memory's of visiting there. Sitting on my dads lap and driving that last mile on the gravel roads at 10 years old, the two giant German Shepard's that were big enough for me to ride like a horse. Climbing the stacks of hay in the round top, and finding eggs that my sister and I would have egg fights with. They would have to hose us off before going home to get the eggs off. :D

Kids these days probably wouldn't think that would be much fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom