Raised Bed Gardening.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well hell, everybody already said what I was gonna say ... EXCEPT ...

My squash does better in raised beds than it does in the ground here but I suspect it's because my entire yard is the sandiest loam I have ever seen. In fact, I think there is probably about 1% loam -- and I'm being generous with a whole 1%.

All that said, I do have to go out of my way (like get a paintbrush) and manually transfer pollen from the male to female flowers. Dunno why but it's just always been that way here. Same thing with the tomato plants -- I have to shake the stems and make the pollen fall.

That's one of the reasons I'm putting in a pollinator garden around the outside perimeter of the front yard (where my raised beds are). Hopefully next spring I won't have to run around giving the tomato and squash plants help doing what they should be doing on their own with the birds and the bees. 🤷
Yes, I have a 'nectar' garden about 1/2 the size of my vegetable garden about 30 feet away. It was originally put in for the honey bees I was raising for a while but since the bee adventure has moved elsewhere i have maintained the nectar garden for butterflies, etc as well as wild bees. No doubt it helps vegetable pollination

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I believe the wife is going back to raised bed gardening with her cattle tubs. Some things just don’t like the tubs, mainly in our case Squash. And we loveeeeee Squash. And Jalapeños do better in ground as well. So I was instructed that is happening.

Any of you have issues with tubs and such nit doing good in them?

I use an old galvanized oval stock tank as a raised bed and my jalapeños are doing amazing this year.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nectar garden. Perennials include garden phlox, cherry bushes, vitex bushes, butterfly weed, lantana, blackberry iris, hibiscus, aster. A few annuals are usually added ever spring like the sunflowers, etc. also the 2 tires with squash
IMG_4318.jpeg

yotemarvin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have raised beds, and in my opinion, it’s a much more efficient way to garden. I don’t use “tubs”, but I do have 3 old galvanized water tanks. I’ve had tomatoes in the two smaller tanks and squash in the big one for a couple years, and they do really well until it gets hot. I’m going to grow my squash and tomatoes in the wooden beds next year and see if it makes any difference.
How do you keep fire ants out of the raised beds? I have tried them before and fire ants invaded them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom