Hunting license question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasont783

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm needing a hunting license to shoot in the Slaughtersville range. So my question is how do I go about getting one? I dont have any interest in actually hunting, just want to stay legal and be able to shoot there. So what is the best/cheapest option for me? Thanks.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm needing a hunting license to shoot in the Slaughtersville range. So my question is how do I go about getting one? I dont have any interest in actually hunting, just want to stay legal and be able to shoot there. So what is the best/cheapest option for me? Thanks.
Go to Wal Mart or Academy Sports. Buy general hunting license. You have an annual that is good Jan.1 to December 31st. (I believe they have a date of purchase to the day before the following year also for a different price) You can also buy a 5 year license. You don't need any pre training for general hunting license. Go to the store to sporting goods counter and ask the prices of the different hunting licenses. (I have a lifetime, so I haven't checked prices lately)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_2015-05-09-22-12-08.jpg

Here are your options and prices I mentioned above. If you have any questions, let us know.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The target ranges on WMA's or public grounds require a hunting license.

Prevents somebody during deer season in the area with a rifle saying they were target shooting.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Wal Mart or Academy Sports. Buy general hunting license. You have an annual that is good Jan.1 to December 31st. (I believe they have a date of purchase to the day before the following year also for a different price) You can also buy a 5 year license. You don't need any pre training for general hunting license. Go to the store to sporting goods counter and ask the prices of the different hunting licenses. (I have a lifetime, so I haven't checked prices lately)
As I read the regulations, that may not be true. If he's 30 or younger, he needs to take a hunter education class, or else get an apprentice-designated license. The apprentice designation appears to only affect the holder when hunting, not when shooting at the WMA range, but it is a distinction to keep in mind.
APPRENTICE-DESIGNATED LICENSE

Buying an apprentice-designated license permits hunting by anyone who has not completed Hunter Education Certification.

Anyone 31 or older is not required to have Hunter Education Certification to buy a hunting license.

Hunters younger than 30:
Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy an apprentice-designated hunting license. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter
requirements.

Hunters 9 and younger:
Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy an apprentice-designated hunting license, and apprentice hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.

Accompanying hunter requirements:
A person 18 or older who is licensed (unless exempt) and Hunter Education-certified (unless exempt).

For big game hunting, an accompanying hunter must be within arm’s length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow of the apprentice.

For small game hunting, the accompanying hunter must be within sight of and able to communicate with the apprentice in a normal voice without aid.

Source: 2014-2015 Hunting Regulations, page 11.

I would take the position that using the range isn't hunting, so there's no requirement to have an accompanying hunter; still, it would be an apprentice-designated license, not a full license.

The class is free, you can take it online, and it's quite educational. It's worth the time. I took it twenty years ago in Ohio, and re-took it online here a few years ago just as a refresher.

Latest posts

Top Bottom