Hunting out of truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If that is true, it must be posted in the title 800 regulations.
please post the applicable regs.
The ODW reg number is staffed by who ever answers the phone.
They do not have legal interpretation of the laws, only opinions.

Man I don’t know the reg number, wish I would of asked. I called Dept headquarters @ (405) 521-2739, the lady who answered the phone was not sure of the answer and told me she would transfer me to legal/ law Dept or law division and then I spoke with another lady there.

From Page 8 of Hunting regs

Motor Vehicle Permit to Hunt from a Motorized Vehicle*
Use of a motor vehicle for hunting is intended only as a means of facilitating access. During the actual taking of any wildlife, the vehicle being used by the permittee must be stopped and the engine must be turned off.
A 5-year motor vehicle permit to hunt or take wildlife with the aid of a motor-driven vehicle on Department-managed lands may be issued to residents having a permanent disability which con nes them to a wheelchair, or requires the use of crutches, a walker or other means of support or assistance for body mobility as certi ed by a medical doctor licensed to practice in Oklahoma or any state which borders this state.
Use of a vehicle on Department-managed lands by a motor vehicle permittee is authorized only on roads or trails speci cally designated as open for such activity. Off-road travel by a motor vehicle permittee is prohibited.
Non-ambulatory Permit to Hunt from a Motorized Vehicle*
Use of a motor vehicle for hunting is intended only as a means of facilitating access. During the actual taking of any wildlife, the vehicle being used by the permittee must be stopped and the engine must be turned off.
A 5-year non-ambulatory permit to hunt or take wildlife with the aid of a motor-driven ve- hicle on Department-managed lands may be issued to residents who are unable to walk due to a single or double leg amputation, paralysis of lower extremity(ies) and/or disease or injury and are con ned to the use of a wheelchair as their primary source of mobility, as certi ed by a medical doctor licensed to practice in Oklahoma, or any state which borders this state.
Off-road use of a vehicle on Department-man- aged lands by a non-ambulatory permittee is authorized only on lands speci cally designated as open for such activity.
Maps of areas open to off-road use may be obtained from Department headquarters in Oklahoma City.

Last edited:

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

http://okrules.elaws.us/oac/800:30-1-5

§ 800:30-1-5. Vehicles

(g) It is unlawful for any person to hunt, chase, capture, shoot, attempt to shoot, wound or kill any wildlife from a motor driven vehicle on any Department managed areas, except as provided for persons holding a nonambulatory motor vehicle hunting permit.

Last edited:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experiences with the ODW is people that answer the phone don't know sheet...

.i.e.... Lexington WMA range opening. She told me they were open a few months ago and I called the game ranger and he said another month. Glad I didn't drive 40 miles out there. I will always call the ranger after that.YMMV

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experiences with the ODW is people that answer the phone don't know sheet...

.i.e.... Lexington WMA range opening. She told me they were open a few months ago and I called the game ranger and he said another month. Glad I didn't drive 40 miles out there. I will always call the ranger after that.YMMV
I know first hand about the call in to the odw for legal issues. DO NOT take their advice as the actual law. A retired GW that was injured and spent time manning that phone during recovery at times told me there was a FAQ page they read from if not an actual GW.
Refer to the title 800 for actual proof of the state statutes and how they are written.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The real question isn’t if it legal; the question is , is that hunting? Hell no

Good lord! (Rant on)

But if I set up a ground blind or even set on a 5 gallon bucket in the exact same spot somehow that makes it "hunting"

How about if i set in front of the truck in a camping chair? "Real hunting" then??? No. Ok I pull up 10 yards from an elevated stand get in it and hunt? Hunting then? At what distance from my truck do I need to be so I am a Sportsman? Freggin ridiculous!

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not hunting. I am so sick of people's personal ethics telling others what hunting is and what hunting isn't.

Rant off.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good lord! (Rant on)

But if I set up a ground blind or even set on a 5 gallon bucket in the exact same spot somehow that makes it "hunting"

How about if i set in front of the truck in a camping chair? "Real hunting" then??? No. Ok I pull up 10 yards from an elevated stand get in it and hunt? Hunting then? At what distance from my truck do I need to be so I am a Sportsman? Freggin ridiculous!

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not hunting. I am so sick of people's personal ethics telling others what hunting is and what hunting isn't.

Rant off.

Agree. Some of these blinds now days are no different than shooting out of your house window.

Latest posts

Top Bottom