Hunting season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two more questions I thought of....

The regs say "no more than two may be antlered" I believe. So that means if I wanted I could shoot all 6 deer possible and each of them be a doe? Correct?

Secondly, let's say I've shot all 6 deer by Christmas. I have my lifetime license so I decide I'm going to shoot a 7th deer during the holiday antlerless gun season. I can shoot her with my bow if I want, right? I don't HAVE to use a gun?

I am pretty sure I read the regs correctly and am good to go, but figured a second opinion would be wise.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks. My tireless research has resulted in both a clear and convincing opinion on the regulations as well as a response from the all mighty ODW! :) My opinion is that the regulations do not proscribe the use of center fire rifles to hunt Hogs on PRIVATE LANDS during Deer season. :blahblah: Now, I emailed the following question to the ODW:
To whom it may concern,

I have been reading Oklahoma Statutes as well as the Oklahoma Administrative Code in search of an answer to the following: Is it lawful to hunt for Hogs, and hogs alone, with a Center fire rifle during Deer Muzzleloader season if the hunter has the requisite Tag and License?

I have read the limitation on firearms use during Archery season but have found no proscription against the use of a center fire rifle for hogs during Muzzleloader deer season if one has the appropriate tags and licenses. If possible or not might you also direct me to the language that escapes me? I am no Deer hunter but enjoy being in the woods and we have plenty of hogs on a lease I partake in. (Chandler Area) It just so happens that the days I would be free to hunt are during Muzzleloader season. Actually, I have never harvested swine for that matter but again, I enjoy being out there and want to comply with the rules and regulations of course.

Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

Got this in response: Are you hunting on public land or private land? Hogs may be taken on lands owned or managed by the Department during any established hunting season(s) with methods authorized for those lands and season(s).

When hunting feral hogs on public land during the muzzleloader season you can only use means of take that are legal for that season. You will need to have a hunting license and either a filled or unfilled deer muzzleloader license.

I have listed the legal means of take for the muzzleloader season below.

Legal Means of Taking
· Muzzleloading rifles, muzzleloading shotguns or muzzleloading pistols: .40 caliber or larger rifle or pistol, or 20-gauge or larger shotgun, firing a single slug or ball that is loaded from the muzzle.
· Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.
· Illegal devices: Blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech, laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal.

Private Lands
Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.

The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size.

· Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

I hope this helps you. If you have more questions please let us know.

Now, I realize this is a vague and fairly non responsive answer. However, it clearly shows that whether one is on private land is a crux issue here. Alas! My tireless search was not yet brought to close upon the treacherous journey into the dark world of ODW rules! :preocc: So, I replied again with a more direct question.

:bye: Sadly, the response I received five days thereafter (After what seemed to be some kicking around at ODW) was lost in the interwebs, never to be found again! :fallangel Hmmm...

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said in post 38. I wish anyone a lot of luck if they are hunting during ml season with a center fire and get checked by a warden. It pretty well seems like a no brainer to me..

Latest posts

Top Bottom