I dived into c02 powered airguns this weekend. (product reviews?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill start with the crossman AK1
ak1.JPG

https://www.crosman.com/crosman-full-auto-ak1-bb

Ill go ahead and say for a backyard plinker toy for rainy days like this when the range is closed @ 200+$

Its going to be a no from me.

heres my experience.
10 yard ak1.jpg

3 shot group at 10 yards.

3 shot group at 15 yards.
15 yard ak1.jpg

And what the heck, i loaded up a fresh target and set the thing to full auto @ 15 yards again.
full auto ak1.jpg

(hey i hit bullseye once)
i guess the stereotype of AkS ArE InAcCuRaTe, is true with this thing.

So the rear sight leaf, it would appear is best suited for what would normally be 300 yards.

The P or battle setting , the 1 & 2 hundred yard leaf setting get real.

it took me a frustrating half hour to hour to even get these results fiddling with loading /unloading and raising and lowering the rear sight ramp to finally find the sweet spot was for the gun to be set to 300 yards, and i am afraid this truly was the best i could do.

And i mean that was the best i could do. i was going full prone shooting at 10 & 15 yards with the rear sight leaf set for 300 yards.

And im no newby to ak shooting by any means at all.

Aside from the visable poor accuracy, heres my complaints -

it takes 2 air tanks that could be a pro, or a con i suppose, but you only get 2-3 30x round mags out of it before its out of gas.

The thing constantly missfires almost like a paintball gun that chops
. this wasnt any fault by the full auto system either, as this was something i experienced shooting semi.
The 2-3 hours i played with the thing i really only shot it full auto like 2x and i experienced a little choppyness both times.

the Rear sight leaf while realistically replicated The ramp does essentially nothing and is just for looks.

Thats not my only complaint with the iron sights either, you can only adjust for elevation with the rear sight leaf which is essentially useless, aside from being set to setting #3

The front sight is entirely NON-Adjustable.

The "tool" for installing / removing the c02 gas tanks isnt well thought out, its essentially a clamshell magazine and theres a spot for a allen key that will be easily lost & a major PITA to find one that fits correctly, in the event you do loose it and want to do some backyard plinking.

thats not my only complaint about the magazine.

its an AK, they are ICONIC for the rock and lock, while the paddle magazine release does work, for someone like me whos so used to the rock and lock insertion, its really.... un-natural to have to insert the magazine straight in how its designed to work.

Oh, one last bit, i did dissassemble the gun to see what all could be modified if the thing could be fixed up,

it does come with a full pic rail and handguard so i suppose this is one positive, it could have optics attached if you wanted??? but for a c02 bb gun? its un-needed,
especially a gun designed to shoot FA........

I guess one other positive is it does hold alot of bb's and although loading it is a pita, its not as bad as the glock for the sliding door lever to stay open, and is generally faster to load. but id say this is a half positive, because the magazine / feed system could probably be better designed all together.

The buttstock appears to be a buffer tube style stock like i can tell its the same similar style but the funny thing is once you get it off, a regular ar-15 buffertube stock does not fit.

The handguards will not fit a normal ak, wouldnt even try.

Same goes for the pistol grip, your not going to get a normal ak pistol grip to fit.

heres the last positive thing i have to say about it, the muzzle break it will take 14x1LH muzzle devices, the same as whats found on your typical ak's but i dont see what good that does.

anyhow, its a fun toy, but doesnt really do anything it was designed for well.

Its not a good shooter or plinker, it runs outta air way to quick to be enjoyable and is a pita. half the time your going to be fiddling with loading it / putting new air tanks in it for poor accuracy.

So its gets a over-all thumbs down from me.

It doesnt serve much of a purpose besides a c02 powered BB spraying hose.

Now, onto the UMAREX officially licensed glock copy.
glock 19.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-177-Ca...07FT2LLLK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This thing looks & feels just like a real glock. @ 65$ on amazon right now, as someone that has relatively 0 experience with c02 powered airguns compared to the crossman AK 1
this things an absolute steal and well worth the 65$

Heres why -

glock 5 yard.jpg

3 shot group with it.

glock 10 yard.jpg

So, Heres the positives -
its got the looks feel and weight of the real deal, aside from the removable backstrap & non reciprocating slide.
this thing is POWERFUL.
this brings me to my 3rd positive, Its VERY handy!

I was very impressed with just how far this thing would throw a BB!
I took it kayaking with me & i can tell you 100% without a doubt its my tacklebox snake gun for sure now.
I shot the thing upriver and it went and traveled atleast a good 50-100 yards!!!!!
I couldnt believe it!
for how small this thing is its accurate, powerful and handy,
The trigger - I guess this is a neutral, but it has a crossbolt safety built in, similar to what you'd find on a red-rider BB gun,
another positive, its dirt cheap. 9mm is getting expensive, and the trigger does feel kinda like a normal glock trigger, allthough the trigger pull is quite heavy, id say thats also a positive, its a GREAT TRAINING AID!!! for us AVID glock shooters!

unlike the AK-1, they thought out the hex head allen key for removing/installing c02 tanks, its permantly built into the backstrap & foldable, you aint gonna loose this thing, unless you loose the whole backstrap!!!

i dont really have anything negative to say, aside from
i wish it was easier to load, that could have been a similar design & i wish it held more for how much more enjoyable it is to shoot!

Overall, id steer clear of the ak-1 its just an expensive toy, id return it if i could & get my $ back, but the glock is WELL WELL worth the $

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been looking into BB guns to teach my 5 and 7 year olds gun safety and how to shoot. I decided on the Crossman M4-177 which is pump action and not Co2. I was afraid of how long the tanks would last.

Plus I have S&W M&P 15-22 waiting for them whenever they’re ready, so I figured this would help them get familiar with the safety controls of sm AR. Also, it was only $65. From some of the reviews I’ve seen, the accuracy is decent but I just ordered it and haven’t received it yet. Fingers cross it’s better than your AK and the kids love it!

https://www.crosman.com/crosman-m4-177-177-pellet-bb-pneumatic-pump-air-rifle

IMG_3577.jpeg

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill start with the crossman AK1
View attachment 483547
https://www.crosman.com/crosman-full-auto-ak1-bb

Ill go ahead and say for a backyard plinker toy for rainy days like this when the range is closed @ 200+$

Its going to be a no from me.

heres my experience.
View attachment 483548

3 shot group at 10 yards.

3 shot group at 15 yards.
View attachment 483549

And what the heck, i loaded up a fresh target and set the thing to full auto @ 15 yards again.
View attachment 483551
(hey i hit bullseye once)
i guess the stereotype of AkS ArE InAcCuRaTe, is true with this thing.

So the rear sight leaf, it would appear is best suited for what would normally be 300 yards.

The P or battle setting , the 1 & 2 hundred yard leaf setting get real.

it took me a frustrating half hour to hour to even get these results fiddling with loading /unloading and raising and lowering the rear sight ramp to finally find the sweet spot was for the gun to be set to 300 yards, and i am afraid this truly was the best i could do.

And i mean that was the best i could do. i was going full prone shooting at 10 & 15 yards with the rear sight leaf set for 300 yards.

And im no newby to ak shooting by any means at all.

Aside from the visable poor accuracy, heres my complaints -

it takes 2 air tanks that could be a pro, or a con i suppose, but you only get 2-3 30x round mags out of it before its out of gas.

The thing constantly missfires almost like a paintball gun that chops
. this wasnt any fault by the full auto system either, as this was something i experienced shooting semi.
The 2-3 hours i played with the thing i really only shot it full auto like 2x and i experienced a little choppyness both times.

the Rear sight leaf while realistically replicated The ramp does essentially nothing and is just for looks.

Thats not my only complaint with the iron sights either, you can only adjust for elevation with the rear sight leaf which is essentially useless, aside from being set to setting #3

The front sight is entirely NON-Adjustable.

The "tool" for installing / removing the c02 gas tanks isnt well thought out, its essentially a clamshell magazine and theres a spot for a allen key that will be easily lost & a major PITA to find one that fits correctly, in the event you do loose it and want to do some backyard plinking.

thats not my only complaint about the magazine.

its an AK, they are ICONIC for the rock and lock, while the paddle magazine release does work, for someone like me whos so used to the rock and lock insertion, its really.... un-natural to have to insert the magazine straight in how its designed to work.

Oh, one last bit, i did dissassemble the gun to see what all could be modified if the thing could be fixed up,

it does come with a full pic rail and handguard so i suppose this is one positive, it could have optics attached if you wanted??? but for a c02 bb gun? its un-needed,
especially a gun designed to shoot FA........

I guess one other positive is it does hold alot of bb's and although loading it is a pita, its not as bad as the glock for the sliding door lever to stay open, and is generally faster to load. but id say this is a half positive, because the magazine / feed system could probably be better designed all together.

The buttstock appears to be a buffer tube style stock like i can tell its the same similar style but the funny thing is once you get it off, a regular ar-15 buffertube stock does not fit.

The handguards will not fit a normal ak, wouldnt even try.

Same goes for the pistol grip, your not going to get a normal ak pistol grip to fit.

heres the last positive thing i have to say about it, the muzzle break it will take 14x1LH muzzle devices, the same as whats found on your typical ak's but i dont see what good that does.

anyhow, its a fun toy, but doesnt really do anything it was designed for well.

Its not a good shooter or plinker, it runs outta air way to quick to be enjoyable and is a pita. half the time your going to be fiddling with loading it / putting new air tanks in it for poor accuracy.

So its gets a over-all thumbs down from me.

It doesnt serve much of a purpose besides a c02 powered BB spraying hose.

Now, onto the UMAREX officially licensed glock copy.
View attachment 483554
https://www.amazon.com/Glock-177-Ca...07FT2LLLK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This thing looks & feels just like a real glock. @ 65$ on amazon right now, as someone that has relatively 0 experience with c02 powered airguns compared to the crossman AK 1
this things an absolute steal and well worth the 65$

Heres why -

View attachment 483555
3 shot group with it.

View attachment 483556

So, Heres the positives -
its got the looks feel and weight of the real deal, aside from the removable backstrap & non reciprocating slide.
this thing is POWERFUL.
this brings me to my 3rd positive, Its VERY handy!

I was very impressed with just how far this thing would throw a BB!
I took it kayaking with me & i can tell you 100% without a doubt its my tacklebox snake gun for sure now.
I shot the thing upriver and it went and traveled atleast a good 50-100 yards!!!!!
I couldnt believe it!
for how small this thing is its accurate, powerful and handy,
The trigger - I guess this is a neutral, but it has a crossbolt safety built in, similar to what you'd find on a red-rider BB gun,
another positive, its dirt cheap. 9mm is getting expensive, and the trigger does feel kinda like a normal glock trigger, allthough the trigger pull is quite heavy, id say thats also a positive, its a GREAT TRAINING AID!!! for us AVID glock shooters!

unlike the AK-1, they thought out the hex head allen key for removing/installing c02 tanks, its permantly built into the backstrap & foldable, you aint gonna loose this thing, unless you loose the whole backstrap!!!

i dont really have anything negative to say, aside from
i wish it was easier to load, that could have been a similar design & i wish it held more for how much more enjoyable it is to shoot!

Overall, id steer clear of the ak-1 its just an expensive toy, id return it if i could & get my $ back, but the glock is WELL WELL worth the $
Have you tried pellets in your AK to see if you get any better accuracy?

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its BB's only.

I wish it took pellets. you can do this thing called "diesoling" a pellet gun.

i used to rub a little vaseoline on my old bee-man single shot break open, and that thing would quite litterally burp a little fire out the end of the barrel. i dont seem to quite understand it, but you put some oil, or wd-40 or grease up the old pelletguns in the breach area behind the pellet where there is the hole and they go way faster than intended and spit a little flame out the barrel. i have been doing that trick since i was a kid.

Your probably going to have really good experience with the m4. ive heard good things about that one thats a combonation bb and pellet gun. especially if its a pump. i was just talking about pump air guns today with someone and its very nostalgic from being a kid. heck i remember having a pumpmaster i kid you not i had to of pumped up atleast 100x at my grand dads house. i have to be fully honest. i have NEVER been a fan of c02 powered guns. these are the first 2 i have ever owned. if i had to do it all over again, personally, im never getting a c02 powered rifle. its a big rip-off.

im probably going to just start collecting airguns again. i miss having a good break open like the beeman, and i want a good actual airsoft (plastic BB) gun to do mill-sim stuff with a friend who is really into that sort of thing.

Ive been looking at the E&L ak's and i am highly impressed. all metal and they drag the things thru mud and they still work.

Plus if im being honest, the plastic bb' shooting electric guns are nice because you can shoot them indoors if need be without fear of damaging your walls ect.

Last edited:

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do the same thing with pumping up my childhood BB gun. I would also add additional bbs down the barrel to make it a shotgun.

If you’re looking to do some military type shooting out in the woods with real firearms, you should look into run n guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friends son can't carry a firearm, but he can carry and hunt with an airgun. Long story I won't bore anyone with.
He's been pretty successful taking small game and he's wanting to go to the big bore CO2 rifles for a deer. I've watched some video's online and it appears some very large game has been taken with the CO2 air rifles.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As to the OP, I'm a bit confused. I'm not into bb/pellet guns at all, but you didn't actually think an AK bb gun would even in any remote way function similarly to an actual AK simply because it was made to look like one did you? I inferred from the OP you had experience with actual AK's.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
? There's plenty of AR-15 airsoft, & C02 airguns that not only Look similar, but actually share a number of parts with AR15s such as pistol grips, stocks & handguards.

There are AK airsoft and c02 rifles that do just the same thing.

That's what I was trying to get across.

I don't think it's to damn much to ask for an AK lookalike for the magazine to insert like an actual AK would considering there's others out there that do, but no this crosman AK-1 is stupid in the sense you actually insert the magazine straight in like an ar-15 and not rock and lock.

It's not just that.

They took all the time and effort to put a rear sight on it, that really doesn't do jack ****. If I'm being totally honest. So yeah if I'm being totally truthful I'd expect it to be of better quality for 200$.

Look at something like the YUNKER or cybergun aks. They literally ARE AK's so much so our government banned them because people were turning around and building real AK's out of them.

You can make an airgun both look and be functionally similar to the real deal. That's kinda the point man.

As to the OP, I'm a bit confused. I'm not into bb/pellet guns at all, but you didn't actually think an AK bb gun would even in any remote way function similarly to an actual AK simply because it was made to look like one did you? I inferred from the OP you had experience with actual AK's.

my frustration is with the gun.
if im being 100% honest part of the reason i made this post was to make a valid point that, that cheap c02 powered glock pistol for 65$?? great training aid for pistol shooting!

That ak-47 c02 air rifle made by crossman? A HORRRIBLE training aid. its more like a toy.

Something like the E&L AK that is electronic that fires plastic BB's as dumb as it sounds is very realistic down to detail and actually would be a decent training aid.

If i could return the crap crossman i would, and exchange it for the E&L as they are the same cost, but different product value.

Also, not all crossman products are bad, but the AK1 definitely stinks.

Last edited:

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friends son can't carry a firearm, but he can carry and hunt with an airgun. Long story I won't bore anyone with.
He's been pretty successful taking small game and he's wanting to go to the big bore CO2 rifles for a deer. I've watched some video's online and it appears some very large game has been taken with the CO2 air rifles.
I had no idea hunting deer size game with a Co2 gun was a thing until now. I actually got an email from Pyramid Air (where I ordered my air rifle) about the same subject after I saw your post talking about it. They have some guns shooting a 500g projectile at 1000 fps!

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Crosman 2240 with an 18" barrel, shoulder stock and supresser. Cleaned up all the rats and mice in my yard without anyone being the wiser. It runs off CO2 cartridges, so probably not for small game larger than squirrels, but rats and mice look out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom