I feel sorry for my son... gone are the "good old days". :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The playing Army thread got me nostalgic...

I remember taking my bike and riding off in the morning, only to return 10-14 hours later during the summer. I'd ride all across town, from home to the public swimming pool, out into the country a good 3-5 miles to my friends' houses, etc. We'd spend all day playing in the woods or the neighborhoods with no thought or worry of bad things befalling us worse than a flat tire or a torn shoe (oh the horror!). Broken glasses were avoided most of the time by just not wearing them in the summer. We didn't even bother with taking sandwiches most of the time, we'd just skip out on lunch or whomever's house we were at would supply us with plain bread and bologna.

Life's simple pleasures.

Today, though I live in a very safe and sedate neighborhood in a relatively safe town, we (my wife and I) wouldn't even consider letting my son do the same thing. His bike must be ridden with helmet and knee/elbow pads, only on the sidewalks, and only with adult supervision. It's not so much that we're worried about injury, although he is still pretty young, just about to turn 6. It's more the fear of something worse... a broken arm or a leg, a skinned knee or even a good knock on the head... we can deal with those.

The kidnappings, assaults, rape/murders and freak dog-attacks have us paranoid. We won't even let our son play by himself in the backyard of our own house unless we're outside with him. We have a privacy-fenced backyard, but the gate doesn't have a lock, and there is an 18" gap next to the shed that a person with bad intentions or a rogue dog could easily get through and cause harm before we even knew about it.

We've been victimized, both here and abroad. I remember beating the living sh!7 out of a thief I caught stealing clothes from my clothesline while living overseas. Our vehicles have been broken into numerous times. Someone stole the DVD player from my wife's car when it was locked, probably by code-hopping factory unlock codes. They also took all his Disney and Pixar DVDs. Who steals a little kid's movies???

I feel sorry for my son... his memories of growing up will be of supervised "playdates" with his mom and the other kids' moms from school watching over them at a public place. Never out on his own. Always at a friend's house, the public pool, sprinkler park, etc. No roaming the woods throwing dirtclods at wasp nests. No wiping the dirt from your hands to grab a whitebread bologna sammich - mom is always standing by with hand sanitizer. No roaming for hours with your friends in search of games to play with kids from a few blocks over.

It's just too dangerous.

I feel sorry for my son.

But I can't bear the thought of him being taken from me by some random scumbag because I wasn't careful enough. How many times have I seen parents letting their children wander near the road while they sit back talking to the neighbors? How many times have I heard the all-too-familiar story of a young one kidnapped walking home from school or a friend's house, only to be found a few miles away after being abused and discarded by their abductor? Or never found at all....

What kind of country have we built here? What rate of loss do we find "acceptable" for our children? What tolerance of aberrant behavior of criminal sociopaths will we stoop to, "as long as it doesn't happen to us"? I mean, "they have rights", right?

I worry... I worry a lot.

I don't understand how my mom slept at night... it drives me nuts.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel sorry for today's Youth also. Most do not have the opportunities we had as kids. When I was young there were no cell phones for texting, the only home game systems was Atari which got boring pretty quick, no cable tv (that I knew of). We were fortunate enough to live away from town and used our imaginations to entertain ourselves. My family had several rental properties and we had an area in the back part of the pasture called the "junk yard" where we would dump old lumber etc. We made many club houses. We would make wooden box traps for rabbits or whatever came along (always exciting when you notice the door was closed and didn't dnow what was in there). We made a "bucking barrel" out of a 55gal drum and springs. We had a rope swing (barge rope which we found along the river) in a big oak tree. We could go down to my Grandpa's crawdad ponds and shoot snakes and turtles or gig for bullfrogs. We could hop on my dirtbike with a couple of fishing poles and take backroads all over the county fishing different ponds or grab a shotgun or two and go dove, squirrell, or rabbit hunting. When we were smaller we would till up an area of ground and play PBR with a small cow we had or try to ride the stubborn horse "if" you could catch him. We had a swimming hole (8ft. deep pond) with a rope swing and a homemade wooden diving board. I do truly feel sorry for today's youth and their lack of opportunities and imagination that we had growing up.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know what you mean. When I was about 12 I used to ride my bicycle from around reno & midwest blvd out to 36th & coltrane to my grand parents house. That's 11.5 miles each way. My kids are lucky that I let them ride around the neighborhood!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember being 14 yrs old (early 70's) and living in a Houston suburb. I'd ride a mile or two on my bike, carrying my shotgun, to nearby fields to dove hunt. Nowadays, if someone saw a kid with a gun in a neighborhood the police would be called, the SWAT team would be mobilized, and media helicopters would be everywhere.

Kids today are missing out on some of my fondest memories.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are smart to be cautious. I'm 27, but when I was 9 or 10 I had a scary encouter. There was a man in a blue pick-up taking pictures of me and my brother. I noticed it and grabbed my little brother and ran inside. He was gone by the time my dad grabbed his gun and truck keys and we never saw him. Who knows, maybe it was harmless, but we doubted it. After that summer evening, life was never the same.

We weren't allowed to go outside unless supervised. There are plenty of kids that get abducted and never see their parents again. I have a one year old son and I know we are going to watch over him like a hawk. We would never forgive ourselves if something happened to him. It's a sad world we live in, but the reality is it's a dangerous place.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect to your memories (I share a few - I am 47), much of what we "remember" about the world being safer is illusion. We simply didn't have the means to know what was going on in every little town until and unless it became a big scandal or sensation. I don't know how much safer the world really was for kids.

However, I do think that by casting off all personal constraints (it's my body I'll do what I want; if it feels good do it, etc.) we have opened the door to some very bad...what..appetites, desires to come to the surface. And once they are awakened they demand to be fed.
There were good reasons for many of the "restrictive" morals of yesteryear. Sure individuals still did bad things or were hypocrites, but whole population sections and demographic groups weren't slipping away all at once.

Hmmm...I seem to have gone off and become melancholy...time to go to the range in Duncan!

Latest posts

Top Bottom