I hate chasing chickens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love owls. I hear them all the time here. But the trees are so thick I never get to see them.

This is either momma or daddy (great horned owl) of a family that lived in a tree on our Idaho property. I saw as many as four juvenile owls in this family at once.

1716083221792.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing this place I was sure this was a post from THAT Gurl about choking chickens
Somewhere I have the centennial edition of the Wall Street Journal squirreled away. One of the items they ran was embarrassing things they had put into print, and one of them was a front page headline from a guy from down south saying that something was “more fun than choking chickens,” not realizing what that euphemism meant.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're in MT visiting daughter/son-in-law and grandkids. They have chickens. 2 got out this afternoon when our grandson was getting them some water. Chased them around a couple of acres for at least 35 minutes. And with a hip replacement, I am not as fast as I used to be... Had to get them back in the pen though. Great Horned owl family moved into the crows nests in a big tree in their backyard (owls don't build their own nests, they just move into another birds nest). I understand that some people do that too. Anyway, from that vantage point, with the chicken pen about 80' away from the tree, any chickens left out tend to have their heads disappear quickly by the mama owl, and there have been numerous casualties. I am now looking for a casting net to ensnarl the AWOL chickens. That ought to take care of the little darlings... keep chickens, it was usually skunks that
When we used to keep chickens, it was usually skunks that took their heads, and owls, coyotes and foxes took the whole chickens. I guess it doesn’t matter because, no matter what got them, we still lost them…..

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 Great Horned Owl kids got kicked out of the house yesterday by mama. Perhaps they will move out and find another nest to occupy elsewhere. Lots of free-range chickens just down the street 2 houses.
PXL_20240520_011022002~2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom