I just saw a new kind of "no guns" sign yesterday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistol Packin' Honey

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree. Open carry will be more comfortable for me. Shoving a pistol in my waistband has never been comfy. I didn't because it was necessary. I respect business owners requesting no-guns in their stores, but if its for the comfort of their customers....when did I stop being a customer?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No pun intended, but for me concealed carry is uncomfortable, so I'll be open carrying the majority of the time. Why do you think this will make other customers uncomfortable? Does it make you uncomfortable? Do you really think it will be a problem and inhibit your bottom line? Do you do any other singling out of patrons? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I really am curious.

I'm originally from a state that allows open carry and I carried frequently in the open, and I never saw anyone make gestures towards my pistol or act in a strange way. That doesn't mean they weren't uncomfortable, but it didn't seem prevalent to me. Beyond that, both of my parents have been business owners (retail and commercial) and didn't see any need to single out any patrons.

Like I said, concealed is welcome. Open carry patrons will be asked to conceal, or leave. It isnt a matter of whether it makes me nervous, it doesn't. I am however worried my non-2A customers would be put off/be uncomfortable by those who openly displaying their firearms. Simple numbers...

By far more citizens either conceal, or do not carry at all. Very few will openly carry. Unlike Washington, I refuse to sacrifice the many, just for a few.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, concealed is welcome. Open carry patrons will be asked to conceal, or leave. It isnt a matter of whether it makes me nervous, it doesn't. I am however worried my non-2A customers would be put off/be uncomfortable by those who openly displaying their firearms. Simple numbers...

By far more citizens either conceal, or do not carry at all. Very few will openly carry. Unlike Washington, I refuse to sacrifice the many, just for a few.

So you're saying you will alienate an entire group of potential and actual customers (oc and possible cc crowds) because some other customers *might* feel uncomfortable about someone open carrying in your business? Assuming of course that those customers even notice that a person is open carrying.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I completely agree with you man. I am not a fan of open carry at all but it doesn't bother me. If a business doesn't want someone open carrying, then I respect that. Conceal it and go on or shop elsewhere. There are a lot more people who will never carry than the people who actually do.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a handgun permit yet so I don't carry, but I still won't do business anywhere that has a No Guns sign, and that will include any business with a No Open Carry sign.

I believe the right to bear arms is a Constitutional right, and a will not support any business that is against that right, for whatever reason.

My name is Old Phart, and I approve this message.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you're saying you will alienate an entire group of potential and actual customers (oc and possible cc crowds) because some other customers *might* feel uncomfortable about someone open carrying in your business? Assuming of course that those customers even notice that a person is open carrying.

You can bet people notice when you're open carrying. It makes a lot of them uncomfortable. They have no idea who you are or why you're carrying a gun and not wearing a uniform. I'd probably think you were a whack job of some sort and call 911 reporting a man with a gun.

Open carry was passed with the intent that people could open carry where it was necessary. Such as in the woods while in the midst of wild beasts. It was also passed so that if you are a CCW carrier and accidential expose your pistol you wouldn't be in violation of current law.

With the comments displayed by the open carry crowd towards those who choose to disallow it I see nothing but bad written all over this thing. I suspect that by the next legislative session this open carry bill will be amended.

There is no need to open carry in the produce aisle of WalMart or at the skee ball machines in Chuck E Chesse.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prominently displayed on their door was a sign that said "No Guns allowed unless in accordance with Oklahoma Concealed Carry laws."

Is that just their way of saying no open carry?

BTW, is the open carry law in effect yet?

I think this sign is more for would be criminals. Letting them know what they'll be getting into if they commit a crime in that location.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's exactly what I'm saying. OC patrons are the minority group on this issue, there fore it is the smallest group that shall have a stink about it. Thus sacrificing the few for the many. And I'll understand if a OC gun nut chooses not to shop at my store... After all, I'm a gun nut that won't shop at a store prohibiting CC/firearms.

I have a CC welcome sign on the door... And a picture of an Abrams tank that says "Non-Concealed Weapons Prohibited"

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's every bit your right to do so, and I would respect it.

I wonder how many people who instinctively say people will notice and wonder why you're carrying a gun have actually lived in a place where open carry has been legal for quite some time. It seems as though the fact that it hasn't been legal here pushes the envelope of it being accepted.

No stink, I just don't understand the logic. For the record I don't know what kind of business you're in, but I just can't get my head around people walking out of a store or not patronizing it because the business allows law abiding citizens to be there. I personally think's it's baseless worry, but it's not my establishment.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm saying. OC patrons are the minority group on this issue, there fore it is the smallest group that shall have a stink about it. Thus sacrificing the few for the many. And I'll understand if a OC gun nut chooses not to shop at my store... After all, I'm a gun nut that won't shop at a store prohibiting CC/firearms.

I have a CC welcome sign on the door... And a picture of an Abrams tank that says "Non-Concealed Weapons Prohibited"

So you only support the 2nd Ammendment to the extent that you and your customers are comfortable with it.

And gun owners wonder why our rights are eroding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom