I just saw a new kind of "no guns" sign yesterday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally don't have as big a problem with no open as no carry at all.
That being said maybe a nice big sign that says "No Open Carry" you can see before you hit the door.
Give me a chance to tuck it in before I'm halfway in the door.
But in either case it's the companies choice and mine whether we do any business.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can bet people notice when you're open carrying. It makes a lot of them uncomfortable. They have no idea who you are or why you're carrying a gun and not wearing a uniform. I'd probably think you were a whack job of some sort and call 911 reporting a man with a gun.

Open carry was passed with the intent that people could open carry where it was necessary. Such as in the woods while in the midst of wild beasts. It was also passed so that if you are a CCW carrier and accidential expose your pistol you wouldn't be in violation of current law.

With the comments displayed by the open carry crowd towards those who choose to disallow it I see nothing but bad written all over this thing. I suspect that by the next legislative session this open carry bill will be amended.

There is no need to open carry in the produce aisle of WalMart or at the skee ball machines in Chuck E Chesse.

I believe you overestimate the situational awareness and observational abilities of your average oblivious person.

There aren't exactly a lot of "wild beasts" in Oklahoma that one needs protection from, either. I highly doubt that and accidentally exposing a gun were the big trains for open carry passing. If that were the case, why not just remove any penalty for printing or accidentally showing the weapon?

Also, why buy produce at Wal-Mart? Crest usually have fresher veggies...

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, concealed is welcome. Open carry patrons will be asked to conceal, or leave. It isnt a matter of whether it makes me nervous, it doesn't. I am however worried my non-2A customers would be put off/be uncomfortable by those who openly displaying their firearms. Simple numbers...

By far more citizens either conceal, or do not carry at all. Very few will openly carry. Unlike Washington, I refuse to sacrifice the many, just for a few.

Have you decided what your pain point is on the balance scale of dollars lost vs. dollars kept? Given the small percentage of SDA licenses in the overall population and the even-smaller percentage of OC advocates plus being in a non-metro area, you may not be risking much with your position but it's always good to count the potential cost. You should also consider that it costs way more to get one new customer than it does to keep one established customer. Another part of counting the cost...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun busters don't really limit where I shop. It does make me very mindful of discretionary spending. I'll walk into the anti gun store because I need a loaf of bread and it's on the way home. But I will not buy that bottle of Coke or copy of National Enquirer that I would have gotten to go with my fresh loaf of bread.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no such thing as the oklahoma concealed carry law,There is an SDA law.(which states that open carry is treated the same as concealed carry.)
Some anti-gun business owner trying to do what all anti's do,they lost and are trying to use the legal system(poorly i might add) to seek relief for their hatred of guns.

Beat me to it...

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can bet people notice when you're open carrying. It makes a lot of them uncomfortable. They have no idea who you are or why you're carrying a gun and not wearing a uniform. I'd probably think you were a whack job of some sort and call 911 reporting a man with a gun.

Due to carelessness on my part about 4 years or so ago I failed to cover up when leaving home. I OC'd at Best Buy and Walmart for the better part of a busy Saturday morning with not a single look or notice. There was no man with a gun call made, no one fainted in the aisles and anyone who did notice who thought I was a police officer wasn't paying real close attention (I suppose they could have thought I was undercover or something but if that was the case why would I have been carrying OC). I don't look like a cop - in fact - back then based on my hair, jeans, sun glasses and hat would have been more likely to have been mistaken for a thug than a cop.

Open carry was passed with the intent that people could open carry where it was necessary. Such as in the woods while in the midst of wild beasts. It was also passed so that if you are a CCW carrier and accidential expose your pistol you wouldn't be in violation of current law.

If that was the case then the legislature should have written the law that way but they didn't. Did you watch the debate the day OC passed. I did and I can assure you the pro OC legislators and the legislator that submitted the law, watched it amended and accepted the amendments most definitely didn't have any of the things you've mentioned as reasons for OC on his mind when he submitted it and debated it on the floor. And if he did they were secondary considerations at best.

With the comments displayed by the open carry crowd towards those who choose to disallow it I see nothing but bad written all over this thing. I suspect that by the next legislative session this open carry bill will be amended.

Maybe - but not - I suspect - the way you imagine.

There is no need to open carry in the produce aisle of WalMart or at the skee ball machines in Chuck E Chesse.

Because as we all know bad guys don't take guns into Walmart's and shoot the place up.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you only support the 2nd Ammendment to the extent that you and your customers are comfortable with it.

And gun owners wonder why our rights are eroding.

And that surprises you...

Been on OSA long?

Wait - just since Aug I see. Give it time. You'll get it - eventually.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am actually shocked by the amount of people who see a difference between concealed carrying and open carrying. In both cases you're carrying a weapon, the only difference is if you're letting people around you know whether or not you're carrying.

The argument about open carrying at walmart to buy produce is ludicrous. It's sentiment like that which gets all rights revoked. Why should it matter if it's exposed or not? Carrying a gun is carrying a gun, and if there is an argument against open carrying, in most cases the same argument can be made against concealed carry. If that's what you want at least be up front about it.

It's been my EXPERIENCE that people don't run an hide when a man walks in with a gun. Quite to the contrary, they really don't do anything different at all. With that said, I believe that the same will hold true here as well. The average Joe really doesn't care as much as we do. As for today, I'm sure there are going to be people out and about who are looking for people with a gun, and those same people may make a scene. In time the hullabaloo will die down, and it will go back to being ignored.

Latest posts

Top Bottom