I need some help please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, for a dog that big, $500 is pretty cheap for heartworm treatment, and I'd be nervous about any place that would be doing it for less... I'd ask some serious questions about what steps they're skipping.

Soulman, if you can't raise the money with help from OSA, PM me and we'll talk about some other options.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, for a dog that big, $500 is pretty cheap for heartworm treatment, and I'd be nervous about any place that would be doing it for less... I'd ask some serious questions about what steps they're skipping.

Soulman, if you can't raise the money with help from OSA, PM me and we'll talk about some other options.

Would you pm me with the things I need to ask to make sure he's getting the right/correct treatment? I'm using Dr. Craig Spence at the Bartlesville Animal Hospital.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you pm me with the things I need to ask to make sure he's getting the right/correct treatment? I'm using Dr. Craig Spence at the Bartlesville Animal Hospital.

I'll put it here for everyone who might be interested.

• Ask first about the pre-diagnostics. At an absolute bare minimum, they should do x-rays before starting treatment. That helps "stage" how bad the heartworm disease is, and also gives you something to compare if something goes wrong - you take a follow-up x-ray and see something on the film, you need to know if it was there before the treatment or not.
  • EKG is important to make sure the heart is functioning properly.
  • CBC, chemistry, and urinalysis to make sure the body is healthy enough to withstand the treatment.
  • Ask if they're using a "fast kill" or a "slow kill" method, and if they say they're using the "fast kill," ask if they're sure it will be safe in your dog.
  • Also, you should ask about pain medication, and any other medications along with it.

If you have a vet who has no problem treating for heartworms without at LEAST x-rays first, turn and run away. You probably don't even want to know what other medical shortcuts that guy is taking.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll put it here for everyone who might be interested.

• Ask first about the pre-diagnostics. At an absolute bare minimum, they should do x-rays before starting treatment. That helps "stage" how bad the heartworm disease is, and also gives you something to compare if something goes wrong - you take a follow-up x-ray and see something on the film, you need to know if it was there before the treatment or not.
  • EKG is important to make sure the heart is functioning properly.
  • CBC, chemistry, and urinalysis to make sure the body is healthy enough to withstand the treatment.
  • Ask if they're using a "fast kill" or a "slow kill" method, and if they say they're using the "fast kill," ask if they're sure it will be safe in your dog.
  • Also, you should ask about pain medication, and any other medications along with it.

If you have a vet who has no problem treating for heartworms without at LEAST x-rays first, turn and run away. You probably don't even want to know what other medical shortcuts that guy is taking.

Thanks for the info doc.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is castrate's wife, I'm a vet assistant. You could try oneta animal care, they are real good with payments. They are in broken arrow. I can ask the doc. I work for now what he could do for you. Just PM us with your number and I'll give you a call with the info.

+1 for oneta animal care. My wife and I use them for our dog and we love them. Super nice people. Its a bit of a drive from BVille but I think its worth it. There closer to Coweta than BA but its technically in BA.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the PMs and donations. After talking to Joe's foster mom, she told me she will adopt him and get him the treatment he needs. So Joe will not be going back to the shelter and will not be put down. For those of you who have donated, I have returned your money. Thank you all for everything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom