Might be parting ways with an old friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great people. My dad and I would go there to fish the ponds. Dad had a car so the ranch foreman would offer one of the 4X4 pickups to take if the road was muddy, and tell us to go to the bunkhouse cook to get a sack lunch to take if we didn't bring anything.
I worked on a lot of the Osage county ranches when young, but not that one. All further West, mostly the Arrowhead ranch.

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started to put old saying about owning a horse or a dog but think not going to now. Sad getting attached to animals of any kind. Have had horses, dogs and cats. You are the cat’s, the dog is yours and a horse is your partner. Letting go is hard no matter which it is or which way it goes. My worst was a cat that I had for 22 years.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a ranch horse invitation only, I hope he goes to a good home. Hate to see any horse older than 15 go to a sale. Usually ends up getting the piss rode out of him going to every rodeo and jackpot in 500 miles until he’s too broke down to load in the trailer, then gets starved out back behind the single wide.

My opinion isn’t worth anything but he’s obviously still got some time left in him, so I’d use him for it and when he’s past the point of doing it safely then sell him as a kids horse to a townie with 5 acres they’re calling a homestead. Then he will get to die as any horse prefers, drowning in treats.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t do it. If he owes you nothing, he deserves his life with you.

i gotta agree if he worked hard for you his whole life I feel like he's earned his retirement right there in his home pasture. not judging at all. just my opinion

Being a ranch horse invitation only, I hope he goes to a good home. Hate to see any horse older than 15 go to a sale. Usually ends up getting the piss rode out of him going to every rodeo and jackpot in 500 miles until he’s too broke down to load in the trailer, then gets starved out back behind the single wide.

My opinion isn’t worth anything but he’s obviously still got some time left in him, so I’d use him for it and when he’s past the point of doing it safely then sell him as a kids horse to a townie with 5 acres they’re calling a homestead. Then he will get to die as any horse prefers, drowning in treats.
I hear what you guys are saying and I have looked at it like you guys are for the last few years. Here’s a big factor: A 2 to 4 year old for me to start building another good horse out of used to cost $2k to $4k. Nowadays they are costing $6k to $15k. My brother found me one and brought him to me and the good brother discount (lol) is $8500. I’ve been half ass trying to buy Hamsters replacement for the last few years but each year the price has gone up more than I wanted to spend. I have put myself in a place now that I’ve gotta buy one because I don’t want to hammer Hamster anymore. Well, I don’t have the money laying here so I figure I’ll let Hamster fund the purchase. Great news is I have been getting calls from people that saw Hamster in the catalog that has been released and so far it’s folks looking for a horse for their kid to ride on their ranch but they don’t want just a deadhead they want something that can be used also. To me that sounds like a good home.

Another factor: the ranch I currently work on doesn’t raise or provide horses and we employees are limited to 3 head a man. I’ve already got a 22 year old gelding my kids use taking up one of my slots.

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear what you guys are saying and I have looked at it like you guys are for the last few years. Here’s a big factor: A 2 to 4 year old for me to start building another good horse out of used to cost $2k to $4k. Nowadays they are costing $6k to $15k. My brother found me one and brought him to me and the good brother discount (lol) is $8500. I’ve been half ass trying to buy Hamsters replacement for the last few years but each year the price has gone up more than I wanted to spend. I have put myself in a place now that I’ve gotta buy one because I don’t want to hammer Hamster anymore. Well, I don’t have the money laying here so I figure I’ll let Hamster fund the purchase. Great news is I have been getting calls from people that saw Hamster in the catalog that has been released and so far it’s folks looking for a horse for their kid to ride on their ranch but they don’t want just a deadhead they want something that can be used also. To me that sounds like a good home.

Another factor: the ranch I currently work on doesn’t raise or provide horses and we employees are limited to 3 head a man. I’ve already got a 22 year old gelding my kids use taking up one of my slots.
I know what it feels like to give your all and then be thrown away because you got too old

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If hamster is kid friendly why not sell the 22 year old to a guaranteed good kid home?

Prices have gone through the roof. You used to be able to pick up a good grade gelding that had been slaved for a couple years in the feedlots up north for 2500 from the Mexicans in the winter when jackpots were the furthest thing from anyone’s mind and nobody was buying. Good using horses that could drag a fat up out of the lot and had some outside sense to them. They want 7500 now.

Your horse oughta be worth north of 10 with as much cow as he showed in those videos though, even at his age.

Edited to add that your 22 year old kid horse is probably worth 5 or more the right buyer. It’s crazy, but there’s no good horses out there for less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom