I was quoted $160.00 to replace one lug nut and stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother went to Hibdons in Yukon for a power steering leak. They looked at it and said $3500.00
to replace rack and pinion. He fix it himself by sliding the low pressure hose a bit further up a metal
tube that had a small crack in it. They are not the same Hibdon they used to be.
These days they want to just throw parts at it. It's that or DIY.
Well, They were bought out many years ago. Then that company was purchased by Bridgestone-Firestone.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife’s van had a lug nut missing and while getting new tires I asked if they could replace the missing lug nut. They quoted me $160.00 to replace it, I said no! I went to the auto parts store and bought the stud and lug nut for less than $8.00, spent 40 minutes working on it and done. One would think if someone is buying tires from them they could fix one lug nut and for $50, but I guess if they get away with $160 from other people, why not try on all.
Yes, Sir! I have done all the maintenance and repairs for the past 15 yrs. They will take advantage on everything. Its very disturbing to shop for parts and find them for 25% of the dealer's OEM parts. and charge $150 a hr to put on a $25.00 part.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To also go with this conversation discussing saving ourselves money……What is the future of the brick and mortar parts store? I can often order the same exact brand of part online for 40-50% less than the parts stores in town. I try to do business with my local Napa, Oreilys, Autozone or Advance and I usually price stuff through them before ordering online but they are never cheaper and often are beat apples to apples by a very large margin. I can understand why they cost more but I don’t see how they have a good future competing against online.

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son was quoted $800 to change lower ball joints on a trailblazer. Spent $50 for parts (online including the crazy prices for shipping) and borrowed a press from OReilly Auto Parts.

Ended up changing the upper ball joints and an outer tie rod at the same time so closer to $120 in parts with shipping.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To also go with this conversation discussing saving ourselves money……What is the future of the brick and mortar parts store? I can often order the same exact brand of part online for 40-50% less than the parts stores in town. I try to do business with my local Napa, Oreilys, Autozone or Advance and I usually price stuff through them before ordering online but they are never cheaper and often are beat apples to apples by a very large margin. I can understand why they cost more but I don’t see how they have a good future competing against online.
I often times can get a discount if I tell them I can get it online for this amount. Having part in hand is worth a little more but I don't want to pay for 2 and get 1.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I needed a wheel bearing pressed out of a hub. Took the whole hub to a local tire shop to see if they would mind pressing the old one out and the new one in for me. They wanted to know the make and model of the vehicle in order to figure out how much to charge. They quoted me the price to do the whole job like I brought the whole car with me. I’m absolutely sure that wouldn’t have been the case in the past, but I honestly think some of the guys at the counter are idiots and only know how to push buttons on computers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom