I was quoted $160.00 to replace one lug nut and stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I've done pretty well with rockauto. It works really well until something goes sideways. There is NO way to handle problems except through their online forms, which can be frustrating if your particular problem doesn't have a checkbox.

But they are cheap enough it's worth an occasional pita order.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I've done pretty well with rockauto. It works really well until something goes sideways. There is NO way to handle problems except through their online forms, which can be frustrating if your particular problem doesn't have a checkbox.

But they are cheap enough it's worth an occasional pita order.
Right, I bought a injector wire harness pigtail for my diesel and they are selling a gas eng connector.... I had to pay $5 out of my refund for the return shipping.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hibdons hasn't been "hibdons" for many years now. I'm kind of in the business, But would push my burning truck past a "hibdons" before I allowed them to touch it.
Mr. Hibdon started a new business selling cars (seems like it was more of a broker-type service, where they'd find you a car, but it has been a few years). In his ads he explicitly said that he had sold his tire business years prior and no longer had any association with them. That said a lot about what had happened to the Hibdons tire business.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes things are priced the way they are as a deterrent because they don’t really want to do the work.
Yup. I had a water leak under the drain of my tub. You can get to easy in the crawl space. Large Plumbing service came out, looked at it and said that is old plumbing (house built in 1955) has 1.5 inch drain going into a 2 inch pipe. Will have top replace everything. $900. He was here 10 and no more than 15 mins. NO THANKS. OK here is the bill for $100 for the call out and estimate fee. NOPE not going to pay for a ridiculous estimate and a$100 do do nothing but look at it. If you are going to charge for estimates, you need to tell before you come out. I went to hardware store, got a rubber boot 1.5 to 2 inch, and two hose clamps. $4.75. Took me 10 mins to fix.
That was 20 years ago and still working!
Heck, I could make a fortune charging $50 for estimates and overprice materials and labor and do nothing because I don't want to work! And I'd bet most people would go ahead and pay!

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Hibdon started a new business selling cars (seems like it was more of a broker-type service, where they'd find you a car, but it has been a few years). In his ads he explicitly said that he had sold his tire business years prior and no longer had any association with them. That said a lot about what had happened to the Hibdons tire business.
My go-to these days locally is Big-O in Edmond

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is why we the few love to do our own wrenching.

So glad you knocked it out yourself.
Good job.

This is all depends on the age old question of if its cheaper for me to do it or let the other guy do it. Most of the time its way cheaper to let the other guy do it while I earn the money to pay him . When I was younger and earned a lot less / had a huge surplus of time to deal with such matters . Yes it was no brainier

Congrats OP on getting it taken care of .

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Book time can't be more than an hour unless it's some kind of pressed on hub like old Hondas. I've changed countless studs. There's no liability in that when done right. That's highway robbery. I also thought it was fun y when people complained about 4 hour brake jobs on saidnpressed hubs when hub has to be put in press to remove rotor
You said the magic words: when done right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom