I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of the purpose of self checkout if an employee is going to stand there and watch.

I always need assistance when checking out there.

If their self checkout system has a way to get the Veterans 10% discount,,,
I haven't found out how to do it,,,
Neither have they.

Aarond

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Neither have they.

Aarond

At HD type in your phone number. Your military and tax exempt should be linked to your phone number, if you have registered.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Neither have they.

Aarond

I’m veteran and farm tax exempt. Lowes has a place at self checkout to put in a phone number to start verification. Then you’re supposed to scan the back of the DL to proceed. It never works. Attendant tries to scan and doesn’t work so they have to override and do a manual verification. Then I’m on my way.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to hate the "Watchers" at most self checkouts, overly friendly "we are keeping an eye on you" type. Ya Know. Why not just open another register? Still do not get that. I started dating a lady who works as a cashier at a local to my area WM in a small town NE of Tulsa. Mostly works the registers, but sometimes has to be a "Watcher" at the self checkouts. Man-o-man, the stories she comes home with of how people try to cheat the system to steal things. Everything from having two cans of beans in their hand to swipe once or not listening to the beep because they did not put it down into scanner range, to people just as I have honestly forgot to take something like TP or a bag of charcoal off the bottom shelf of the basket I did once. Their hand held devices show exactly what is showing on your checkout screen while looking at your basket. Then there are those changing scanner price tags on items stuck on various major items and then when caught, always arguing it did not ring up right. Yep there are about 50 times more hidden cameras in the average WM store than even I noticed. When caught in a discrepancy and a supervisor is called who can go back and quickly pull up the videos of them pealing off scanner price stickers to move to another box they know they have been caught. To people pushing their $400 cart up front to go in the bathroom then come out and push it directly toward the door to leave without paying. Something like that happens virtually every day that she is aware of just on her shift she is involved with.

Myself, I prefer a live checker, put my stuff on the belt shoot the bull with the checker (that's how I met my GF) and I put the bag in my basket to carry out after inserting my credit card. Unfortunately it seems personal service is getting close to being a thing of the past.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya Know. Why not just open another register? Still do not get that.
It's actually pretty obvious if you think about it--one Wyatt Earp at the Self-Checkout Corral can keep eight to ten self-check registers going, which is a winning proposition compared to opening one more checkout lane.

Quite frankly, I wondered why it took so long for the Walmarts on Cedar Lane to figure that out; they used to close the self-check lanes at 10pm, funneling everybody into two or three staffed lanes, which made it a royal PITA to check out.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stopped at Home Depot. Needed a filter for the water line on the ice maker.

Having the one item, went to self-checkout. Getting to the register, perky Sue chatterbox, grabs the filter and checks me out. I pay, get receipt, thank perky Sue and proceed to exit. Where Nazi Nancy, who was watching our every move, has hand out to check the receipt.
I walk out, waving the receipt, perky Sue still chattering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom