I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_9406.jpeg

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad I don't work in a public facing role, so many folks that struggle with being a nice human, and struggle with getting their face out of their mobile device long enough to acknowledge another human. I do my best to try to be a bright spot for everyone I interact with, not a self absorbed, crabby old man. It's remarkable just saying Hi, how are you today, and please and thank you goes a long way.

IMG_9485.jpg

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped in OnCue this morning for a coffee and donut. Went to the counter, the young lady scanned the coffee cup and rang up the donut, without speaking a word. Then just frowned at me until I read the terminal to know how much to pay. I paid, she gave me my receipt, and continued her frown until I turned and left . Not a word, period.

Later this afternoon I went into the Walmart market, gathered my items, scanned them, paid the machine, and was finished, and the machine actually said "THANK YOU" as it printed my receipt.

And then I hear on the news about the minimum wage being raised.
What? You expect pleasantries for only $15/hour...... Gotta pay at least $20/hr to get a smile.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an earlier life, I was the plant manager for a manufacturing plant that was a supplier to the auto manufacturers.

We worked under the rule, “The customer is always right, sometimes incredibly stupid, but still always right”.
Customer is not always tight. But, they do deserve respect, courtesy, great service...and the benefit of the doubt.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO, it isn't necessarily the clerk that is the problem. The manager was behind her and appeared to be completely oblivious to the lack of customer relations. Really can't blame everything on clerks if management isn't doing their job of training. Or, maybe it just isn't important any more.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped in OnCue this morning for a coffee and donut. Went to the counter, the young lady scanned the coffee cup and rang up the donut, without speaking a word. Then just frowned at me until I read the terminal to know how much to pay. I paid, she gave me my receipt, and continued her frown until I turned and left . Not a word, period.

Later this afternoon I went into the Walmart market, gathered my items, scanned them, paid the machine, and was finished, and the machine actually said "THANK YOU" as it printed my receipt.

And then I hear on the news about the minimum wage being raised.
You should had put a smile on her face with a 20.00 TIP. LOL

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stopped at Home Depot. Needed a filter for the water line on the ice maker.

Having the one item, went to self-checkout. Getting to the register, perky Sue chatterbox, grabs the filter and checks me out. I pay, get receipt, thank perky Sue and proceed to exit. Where Nazi Nancy, who was watching our every move, has hand out to check the receipt.
I walk out, waving the receipt, perky Sue still chattering.
Did you take perky Sue home or did she follow you home?

Similar story. I went to HD in Edmond on NYE evening. It was very slow. Got great service from a friendly young (23-27) woman. She showed me a couple Stanley cutter/ box cutters. She knew exactly where to go for the items (two diff places). I really appreciated her help, kindness and friendliness. I don't think her name was Sue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom