I won a custom long range rifle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not as much as a lot of the fast 6.5s.

You can form it using 270 or 280 brass.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

That's a good sized case necked down to a 6.5, gotta be some high fps there, just picked up my new bolt rifle yesterday and I'm already itching to see the performance of it, can't imagine what yours will do

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's a good sized case necked down to a 6.5, gotta be some high fps there, just picked up my new bolt rifle yesterday and I'm already itching to see the performance of it, can't imagine what yours will do
With the 140 class bullets, 3100 to 3200 is what people are getting.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What powder are you using ? I'm pushing 129 gn accubond long ranges to 3290 out of a standard 6.5-06 (28" barrel ) using h4831 sc tried retumbo and rl 22 had better velocity but less than stellar accuracy. Use h4831 sc and rl19 with 120 gn Barnes to 3400 and 140 gn partitions to 2995 avg measured using my magneto speed. Curious what yours will do since they're so similar.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What powder are you using ? I'm pushing 129 gn accubond long ranges to 3290 out of a standard 6.5-06 (28" barrel ) using h4831 sc tried retumbo and rl 22 had better velocity but less than stellar accuracy. Use h4831 sc and rl19 with 120 gn Barnes to 3400 and 140 gn partitions to 2995 avg measured using my magneto speed. Curious what yours will do since they're so similar.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.
The main powder I plan to use, just based on the things I am seeing from a handful of guys who also shoot the Sherman, is Reloder 26. I have yet to chrono my rounds, have only fired 5 and discovered that I will have to turn the necks on them, waiting for a tool...

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch,

that is one good looking rifle you've got there! Congratulations again!

What twist rate does your barrel have?

Unless the neck was purposely cut tight, for turned necks, you may be able to neck up 25-06 brass, fire-form it, then load it without neck turning. Just a thought, not knowing the chambers exact dimensions...

I have built a lot of rifles in 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, as well as short necked versions for maximum case capacity, and one of the better powders used was H-1000 or IMR-4831 SC...

As a rule, those long .264 bullets seem to offer their best accuracy potential when seated into the lands. The exception to this rule, are the Berger VLD bullets, which perform best when they have to jump .040 to .060 before contacting the rifling...

Two preferred primers are the Winchester WLR and the WLRM. With most 6.5's that will run over 3,000 fps, the difference between a "standard" or "magnum" primer can make or break the long-range accuracy potential of a rifle. Of course the only way to find out which one your rifle prefers, is through trial and error through actual range testing...

Good luck with your new rifle. Looking forward to your range reports.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mitch,

that is one good looking rifle you've got there! Congratulations again!

What twist rate does your barrel have?

Unless the neck was purposely cut tight, for turned necks, you may be able to neck up 25-06 brass, fire-form it, then load it without neck turning. Just a thought, not knowing the chambers exact dimensions...

I have built a lot of rifles in 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, as well as short necked versions for maximum case capacity, and one of the better powders used was H-1000 or IMR-4831 SC...

As a rule, those long .264 bullets seem to offer their best accuracy potential when seated into the lands. The exception to this rule, are the Berger VLD bullets, which perform best when they have to jump .040 to .060 before contacting the rifling...

Two preferred primers are the Winchester WLR and the WLRM. With most 6.5's that will run over 3,000 fps, the difference between a "standard" or "magnum" primer can make or break the long-range accuracy potential of a rifle. Of course the only way to find out which one your rifle prefers, is through trial and error through actual range testing...

Good luck with your new rifle. Looking forward to your range reports.

Thanks!

The barrel is a 1-8 twist

Latest posts

Top Bottom